How to get pre-approved for a Capital One credit card
October 17, 2023 2:37 min video
- Pre-approval usually means a card issuer has reviewed your basic information and determined your financial profile potentially matches the basic qualifications required to be a cardholder.
- With Capital One’s pre-approval tool, you can determine which credit cards you may be eligible for by answering a few simple questions about yourself.
- Pre-approval won’t affect your credit, but applying for a credit card typically results in a hard credit check, which can temporarily affect your credit scores.
- Getting pre-approved doesn’t guarantee you’ll be approved once you apply for a credit card. But it can give you a better idea of which cards you have the best chance of being approved for.
What does credit card pre-approval mean?
Getting pre-approved or pre-qualified for a credit card typically means your credit profile potentially matches the general requirements to become a cardholder. Credit card eligibility can be largely determined by your credit scores and what’s in your credit reports.
Keep in mind that pre-approval doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed approval for a credit card. Instead, it means the credit card issuer has done a basic review of your financial information, likely resulting in a soft credit check. But pre-approval is a good starting point and can help you narrow down your options.
How to get a Capital One credit card pre-approval
If you’re interested in a Capital One credit card, pre-approval is quick, easy and won’t hurt your credit.
You can see whether you’re pre-approved online in these simple steps:
- Answer pre-approval questions. Start by selecting what’s most important to you, whether it’s building credit, having no annual fee, receiving cash back or travel rewards, paying a low interest rate or receiving a new card member offer. Then provide basic information about yourself, like your legal name, address, Social Security number, employment status and income.
- Review offers. If you’ve been pre-approved, you can check out the cards you’re eligible for.
- Apply. Once you choose the Capital One card you’re interested in applying for, you can begin the credit card application process by answering a few more short questions. Keep in mind that applying typically results in a hard credit check, which can temporarily affect your credit scores.
What are the benefits of getting pre-approved for a Capital One card?
There are some benefits to getting pre-approved for a Capital One credit card before filling out a formal application, such as:
- Avoiding a hard credit check: Capital One pre-approval results in a soft credit check, which won’t affect your credit scores. Once you decide to apply, there will likely be a hard credit check, which can result in a temporary dip in your credit scores.
- Finding the right card for you: Even though pre-approval doesn’t guarantee you’ll be approved for a credit card, by getting pre-approved, you can see the offerings that match your credit profile. And that can help you narrow down your options so you can choose which cards make the most sense for your financial goals and circumstances.
Capital One pre-approval FAQ
Keep reading to learn more about getting pre-approved for a Capital One credit card.
Will Capital One pre-approval affect my credit scores?
No, pre-approval doesn’t affect your credit scores. Using Capital One’s pre-approval tool is a way to determine whether you’re eligible for credit card offers before you apply.
Do I have to have a certain credit score to use Capital One’s pre-approval tool?
How long does Capital One pre-approval take?
In many cases, you can expect an answer in as little as 60 seconds after filling out the general pre-approval questions.
Which Capital One card should I choose?
Getting pre-approved for a Capital One card in a nutshell
Using Capital One’s pre-approval tool is a straightforward way to find cards that match your credit profile—with no harm to your credit. The process is simple, and you typically only have to answer a few qualifying questions to determine your eligibility.
While it’s not guaranteed you’ll be approved for a credit card, getting pre-approved first can give you a better idea of your options. You can also learn more about Capital One’s various offerings by comparing credit cards online.