To correct a minor error in your first or middle name only
If the error affects only one or two characters of your first or middle name, please give us a call at 1-888-464-0727 and we may be able to update it over the phone.
What you will need to update your name
Before the information on your bank account can be updated, please be sure that you have updated your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
In order to update your name, we will need two things:
- A supporting document showing the new name, such as:
- a current driver's license
- a marriage certificate or divorce decree
- a new social security card
- or other legal name change document
- An IRS W-9 form
- The IRS requires a hand-written signature (“wet signature”) on an IRS W-9 form for it to be valid
- Please do not sign the form digitally or using software such as Adobe or DocuSign
- If the change is for a minor customer, we still need the supporting document (can be birth certificate) and the Guardian needs to sign and date the W-9
How to submit your name change request
There are a few ways to submit your request:
- You can submit your request in person at a Capital One branch. Use our Branch Locator to find a branch near you
- You can call us at 1-888-464-0727 and request that we email you a secure link that will allow you to upload the documents directly to us
- You can fax the documents to us at 1-888-464-3220 ATTN: Capital One
- Or you can mail them to Capital One, PO Box 98707, Las Vegas, NV 89193
Once the documents are received, we will update your account as soon as possible; please allow us up to 10 business days to process your request.
Ordering a new debit card after your name has been updated/changed
Once your updated name is reflected on your account(s), you can order a new debit card by taking the following steps:
Sign in online at capitalone.com or on the Capital One mobile app (text "MOBILE" to 80101 for a link to download)
Select the spending account for your debit card:
On the web: Choose “account services and settings.” Under “manage debit card,” choose “replace damaged card” and follow the steps
On the app: Select "view all" from the "I want to..." menu. Scroll down to "replace damaged card" and follow the steps
For credit card name changes, please call us at 1-800-227-4825 for assistance.