How to Manage Flights With Capital One Travel
Get the answers to some frequently asked questions about managing flights booked through Capital One Travel
Important Note: Did you book with Capital One Travel before 7 a.m. ET on August 26, 2021? If so, you can sign in to manage your booking. The information in the pages linked below is about the new Capital One Travel that launched in fall 2021.
Capital One Travel has launched a smarter travel-booking experience with a travel tech partner, Hopper.
Here’s what you need to know about managing flights booked through Capital One Travel:
How to Select Seats for Your Flight
Depending on the booking, you might have the option to select your seats directly through Capital One Travel. If seat selection isn’t available for your booking, you can often select your seats directly with the airline.
When Seat Selection Is Available for Your Airline Through Capital One Travel
After choosing your travelers for the flight, you’ll be able to select your seats before you pay during the checkout process. You’ll see any fees the airline might charge for seat selection directly on a seat map of the aircraft. If there are fees for the seats you select, they’ll be added to your fare. In some cases, you may have the option to select seats free of charge.
When Seat Selection Isn't Available for Your Airline Through Capital One Travel
Each airline handles seat selection differently. But you should be able to view your options by managing your booking on the airline’s website. Depending on your airline’s policies for your fare, your airline might offer things like:
- Advanced seat selection.
- Seat selection at check-in.
- Seats that are automatically assigned by the airline.
- Preferred seats for a fee.
A few more things that are good to know about seat selection through Capital One Travel:
- You may have the option to pay for seats with your Capital One rewards if seat selection is available for your airline through Capital One Travel.
- Airlines may charge a fee for you to select your seats, and the fee per seat may vary.
- For certain airlines, seats may not be available to select in advance for basic economy. And you might not be able to sit next to your accompanying passengers. For more information, please see your airline’s website.
- If the airline changes aircraft after you select seats, they’ll try to reassign your seating. If they can’t, you’ll receive a refund for the amount you paid to select seats through Capital One Travel.
- If you pay for seat selection and then decide to cancel the booking, any potential refund for the seat costs will be determined by the airline. You’ll receive a confirmation email after the cancellation is processed confirming whether your seats are eligible for a refund.
How to Change Your Flights
To request a change to your flight reservation, sign in to Capital One Travel and visit the My Trips page, then navigate to Upcoming Trips tabs.
Here are some important exceptions:
- If you need to make a last-minute change to your itinerary within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time, contact the airline directly.
- If you made your booking within the past 24 hours, you may still be eligible to cancel your booking without a penalty. And you can rebook your preferred itinerary without having to pay the airline’s change fees.
- If you booked a basic economy ticket, the airlines don’t allow changes.
- If you booked with a low-cost carrier—like Spirit Airlines or Ryanair—you have to contact the airline directly to request any changes. For these bookings, your Capital One Travel confirmation code will usually begin with an “H-Z-”—for example, H-Z-X7UTSF.
- For bookings made after August 26, 2021, your Capital One Travel booking confirmation code will begin with an “H-”—for example, H-X7UTSF. If your confirmation code doesn’t begin with an “H-,” you can sign in to Capital One Travel and learn more about how to manage your booking.
Airline Fees With Flight Changes
Many airlines charge fees when you change your flights. Those fees might include things like the airline’s change penalty and any fare difference between the original flight price and the new flight price.
You’ll be able to see all the fees before you confirm a flight change. And these fees will also be listed under your trip details when you sign in to Capital One Travel.
Keep in mind that if you request a flight change from Capital One Travel and then request the same change directly from the airline within 24 hours, the airline may charge you additional change fees. Capital One Travel is not responsible for any additional fees paid to the airline.
How to Manage Your Booking on the Airline’s Website
You can often manage many aspects of your flight booking directly on the airline’s website. For example, you can typically do things like:
- View your full itinerary.
- Select your seats.
- Purchase add-ons like upgraded seats, meals and more.
- Add baggage.
- Add a frequent flyer number.
- Add assistance needs, like a wheelchair.
- Check in.
- Print your boarding pass.
To manage your booking on the airline’s website, you likely need to have your airline confirmation code on hand. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign in to Capital One Travel and open your upcoming trip details.
- Scroll to the bottom and click “Confirmation.”
- Tap “Copy & Go” to copy the airline confirmation code.
- Go to the airline’s website.
- Paste the copied confirmation code in the required field to access your booking.
Here are some other things to know about managing your booking on the airline’s website:
- Some airlines don’t let you manage bookings online that weren’t made directly through them. If that’s the case for your flight, don’t worry. Your booking is still confirmed. And you can check in like you normally would at the airport, regardless of whether you booked directly through the airline or through Capital One Travel.
- If you have several last names, you may need to enter them without any spaces in between.
Airline Schedule Changes
Airlines and other travel partners are continually reviewing and updating their schedule change policies.
If you aren’t due to travel within the next 72 hours, it’s better to wait before contacting Capital One Travel to make sure the latest policy information from your airline is available.
Changes can happen from time to time when the carrier has to adjust its schedule, route or aircraft. And as an online travel service, Capital One Travel unfortunately doesn’t have any influence on flight schedules.
Capital One Travel will notify you about flight cancellations or airline-imposed schedule changes by email. If you receive an email about a schedule change, it may require a response from you.
Did the airline make a last-minute schedule change or cancellation within 72 hours of your departure? If so, Capital One Travel will attempt to reach you by phone and email.
It’s important to review the schedule change details and follow the directions in the email. And you might want to monitor your spam folder, too. Sometimes emails can end up in there by mistake.
What Else You Should Know About Airline Schedule Changes
Here are a few more things to keep in mind about airline schedule changes:
- If you paid for a specific seat or other upgrade for your original flight, you need to contact the airline directly to make sure they’re transferred to your new flight(s).
- Once the schedule change is complete, any future changes to your flight will be subject to the original ticket rules and restrictions.
- Low-cost carriers—like Spirit Airlines or Ryanair—manage their own bookings and are responsible for contacting you. For these bookings, your Capital One Travel confirmation code will begin with an “H-Z-”—for example, H-Z-X7UTSF.
- Think you haven’t been contacted about a schedule change for your flight? Have other questions? Feel free to call Capital One Travel at 844-422-6922.
Flight Disruptions and Delays
If you’re at the airport and your flight is delayed or canceled, talk to an agent at the airline counter right away. In most cases, they can book you on the next flight or offer a refund.
If the airline agent can’t help you, contact Capital One Travel at 844-422-6922. The Capital One Travel support team is happy to assist with rebooking your flights. But they can process only changes or refunds authorized by the airline.
If your flight is canceled due to weather or current events, the airline may waive change fees for a limited time.
It’s always a good idea to check your flight’s status before you leave for the airport, when you arrive and while you’re waiting to board. Last-minute changes can happen occasionally because of things like bad weather or mechanical issues.
You should be able to check your flight’s status on the airline or airport website. Some airlines let you sign up for flight status text alerts, too.
How to Cancel Your Flight
If you need to request a cancellation for your flight booked through Capital One Travel, you should follow these steps:
- Sign in to Capital One Travel.
- Visit the “My Trips” page.
- Go to the “Upcoming Trips” tab.
- Find the flight you’d like to cancel, select “Cancel Flight” and follow the on-screen steps. If you’ve added the option to cancel your flight for any reason, look for the button that says “Cancel for Any Reason.”
Keep in mind that for some bookings, you may need to cancel directly with the airline. If you don’t see the option to cancel through Capital One Travel, please call the Capital One Travel support team at 844-422-6922.
You need to submit your cancellation request before your scheduled departure. And it might take up to 48 hours for your request to be processed and confirmed by email.
But as long as you submitted the request before your departure, you don’t need to worry if your departure date has already passed by the time you get the cancellation confirmation email.
And if you’re waiting for a refund to show up in your account, keep in mind that it might take one or two billing cycles for it to be processed.
Free Same-Day Cancellation
Depending on the airline you booked with, you may be able to cancel your booking for free on the same day you made it. Most bookings made within 24 hours qualify. But there may be some restrictions.
If your booking does qualify for free cancellation, the pending charge for the flight will either drop from your account or be refunded to your original payment method within one or two billing cycles. And you’ll receive a confirmation email as soon as the cancellation is processed.
Here are some more things you should know about free same-day cancellation:
- In some cases, if you cancel your booking before the departure date, the airline may offer a future travel credit.
- If you booked with a low-cost carrier—like Spirit Airlines or Ryanair—the booking is managed directly by the airline. And you’ll need to contact the airline to cancel. For these reservations, your Capital One Travel confirmation code will start with an “H-Z-”—for example, H-Z-7UTSF.
- If you booked a basic economy ticket, cancellation refunds aren’t permitted by the airline.
When you cancel a flight, you may receive a travel credit issued by the same airline you initially booked.
You can often apply that credit to pay for a new booking directly through Capital One Travel. To use your travel credit to rebook, sign in and visit the My Trips page, and then navigate to the Upcoming Trips tabs.
Keep in mind that Capital One Travel is bound by the airline’s rules and restrictions and can only redeem travel credits according to the terms and conditions of the airline.
What Else You Should Know About Travel Credits
Here are a few other things to keep in mind about travel credits:
- If you booked with a low-cost carrier—like Spirit Airlines or Ryanair—the booking is managed by the airline. You’ll need to contact the airline directly for more information about possible travel credits.
- Travel credits typically aren’t offered for basic economy bookings.
- Travel credit value is valid for a certain period of time, according to the rules set by the airline. Unused credit after this validity period will be forfeited.
- The airline may charge a penalty when you rebook your new flight(s). This is usually the same penalty the airline would charge to make changes to your flights before the original departure date.
- In addition to a rebooking penalty, the airline may charge the difference between the original flight price and the current price of the new flight you’re booking.
- The credit can only be used by the same passengers on the same airline as the original booking.
- The flight credit might not be able to be applied to certain flights.
Have other questions? Find all the information you need about Capital One Travel hotels, rental cars, refunds and more.
Capital One Travel bookings include services such as price freeze, cancel your flight for any reason, price prediction, price watch, price drop protection, and price match guarantee. Additional fees may apply. The availability of these services varies by account and they may not be available on all bookings. Terms apply. See travel.capitalone.com/terms-of-service/ for details.
Government and private relief efforts vary by location and may have changed since this article was published. Consult a financial adviser or the relevant government agencies and private lenders for the most current information.
We hope you found this helpful. Our content is not intended to provide legal, investment or financial advice or to indicate that a particular Capital One product or service is available or right for you. For specific advice about your unique circumstances, consider talking with a qualified professional.