Capital One & Khan Academy’s free financial literacy course
September 13, 2023 1:16 min video
Everyone deserves to feel confident, capable and in control when it comes to their money, and financial literacy is one key to making that a reality. But high-quality financial education isn’t always accessible or affordable.
That’s why Capital One is partnering with Khan Academy to help bring a free financial literacy course to anyone who wants to demystify personal finance and get one step closer to financial well-being.
Khan Academy’s financial literacy course breaks down complex financial concepts into self-paced, easy-to-understand units. You’ll learn about everything from budgeting and saving to credit, debt, retirement planning and more—all from the comfort of your own home or wherever you choose to learn online.
- Khan Academy is a leader in online learning whose mission is to provide a free, world‑class education for anyone, anywhere.
- The Khan Academy Financial Literacy course is self-paced and completely free.
- The course is made up of multiple units, each with its own lessons, covering topics like budgeting, saving, credit, investments, insurance, taxes, scams, fraud and more.
- Capital One’s partnership with Khan Academy is part of the Capital One Impact Initiative, a commitment to advance socioeconomic mobility.
Overview of course units
The Khan Academy Financial Literacy course is made up of units covering topics like budgeting, saving, credit, investments, insurance, taxes, scams and fraud.
The units are designed to give you the skills and tools you need to take charge of your finances. Each unit is made up of individual lessons that include engaging instructional videos, articles and exercises—all in one easy-to-access online platform. There are also unit tests and a course mastery challenge.
The entire course is self-paced. You can pick and choose the units you want to complete or go through the entire course. You can also take the units in any order you want. And remember, it’s completely free for everyone.
Here’s an overview of the course units:
Get an introduction to the course and discover how you’ll be able to take your finances to the next level with practical tips and step-by-step guidance. It includes this lesson:
- Welcome to financial literacy
Do you know how to design and balance a budget? What about the 50-30-20 budgeting rule? Whether you’re looking to pay off debt, save for a rainy day or just want to be more in control of your money, this unit can help you learn how to budget and save like an expert. It covers three lessons:
- Reducing expenses
- Saving money
Understanding credit is an essential part of making smart financial decisions. Find out how to use credit to your advantage with these three lessons:
- Credit score
- Credit cards
- Payment methods
Explore the importance of setting clear, achievable goals that pave the way for a stable financial future. Plus, learn how to prioritize your financial aspirations, create actionable plans and stay committed to your progress. This unit includes four lessons:
- Money personality
- Charitable giving
- SMART goals
- Short-, medium- and long-term goals
The world of loans and debt can feel overwhelming. This unit breaks down the complexities of borrowing money to help you make smart decisions about debt. That way, you can transform loans and debt into useful tools for your financial well-being. Check out these five lessons:
- Borrowing money
- Types of loans
- Terms of borrowing
Insurance can be a complex topic. There are so many types of insurance to know about—not to mention all the insurance jargon you have to decode. But insurance plays a vital role in safeguarding your financial future. And it’s crucial that you know how to make informed decisions about insurance. Gain the vital knowledge and tools you need to secure your financial future and peace of mind with these nine lessons:
- What is risk and how to manage it
- Insurance basics and terminology
- Health insurance options and costs
- Disability and long-term care insurance
- Life insurance
- Property insurance options and costs
- Car insurance options and cost
- Supplemental insurance and warranties
- Estate planning and legal instruments
Dive into different investment options and strategies so you can grow and secure wealth for the long term. Find out how to harness the power of investing to achieve financial freedom and set yourself up for a fulfilling, worry-free retirement. This unit includes three lessons:
- Introduction to saving and investing
- Risk and return of investment options
- Planning for retirement
Scammers are always evolving and coming up with new ways to trick people out of their money. Find out about different types of scams, the red flags to watch out for and ways to protect yourself from becoming a victim with these three lessons:
- How to protect your personal information
- Common scams
- Consumer protection agencies
Investing in your career and education is an important part of helping yourself succeed and reach your goals. Learning new skills and information can open up opportunities for better jobs and a brighter future. This unit covers four lessons:
- Education and earnings
- College, post-secondary education and training
- Cost of post-secondary education and training
- Choosing where to go
Figuring out taxes on your own can be daunting. These practical tips and step-by-step instructions simplify complex tax information so you can confidently manage your taxes. Explore the fundamentals of taxes, including the different types of income, how they’re taxed and key tax forms like the W-2, 1099 and 1098, in these two lessons:
- What are taxes?
- Tax forms
This final unit is packed with even more articles and videos to help you improve your financial literacy. This unit covers nine lessons:
- About this unit
- Saving and budgeting
- Interest and debt
- Investments and retirement
- Pay and benefits
- Car buying and leasing
- Paying for college
Khan Academy FAQs
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about the Khan Academy Financial Literacy course:
1. How do I access the course?
You can access the course for free on the Khan Academy website.
2. How much does the course cost?
It’s completely free. There’s no charge for any part of the course.
3. What’s the benefit of completing the course?
The course is designed to help you take your finances to the next level with practical tips, easy-to-follow instructions and step-by-step guidance. You’ll learn how to manage your finances like a pro and build a solid foundation for your financial future.
4. How long will it take to finish the course?
The course is designed to be self-paced. Everyone’s situation is different. How long it will take to complete the course depends on how much you already know and your personal learning style.
More ways to take your finances to the next level with Capital One
Capital One has even more tools and resources to help you stay on top of your money and reach your financial goals:
- CreditWise from Capital One: With CreditWise, you can access your TransUnion® credit report and VantageScore® 3.0 credit score any time—without hurting your credit scores. You can even explore the potential impact of financial decisions before you make them with the CreditWise Simulator. CreditWise is free for everyone, even if you’re not a Capital One cardholder.
- The Money & Life Program: Access self-guided exercises and on-demand workshops to support your financial well-being with the Money & Life Program.* Plus, get up to three free one-on-one sessions with a professional mentor who can help you make a personalized plan to achieve your goals. It’s free for everyone, whether you bank with Capital One or not.
- Credit cards for building credit: Explore Capital One credit cards for fair credit and building credit, student credit cards and secured credit cards. When used responsibly, a credit card is one tool you can use to build or rebuild credit.
- Pre-approval: Find out whether you’re pre-approved for a Capital One credit card before you apply. It’s quick and only requires some basic information. And it won’t affect your credit scores.
The Capital One Impact Initiative
The Khan Academy partnership comes to life through the Capital One Impact Initiative, a multiyear commitment to close gaps in equity and opportunity. The program is designed to help build the financial well-being of communities through support and emphasis on the financial fundamentals.