The Work Spouse
They’re the glue that gets you through the work day. Here are a few ideas to help you remind them that you’re in it together.
- Deskorations. Anyone can put up pics of the fam, but page 22 of that presentation you both slaved over to convince your boss to convince her boss to fund your make-or-break 6-month project? That’s a framer.
- Endless Internet Rabbit Holes. Whether you’re the “Monday Morning QB” kind of couple or you spend hours diving into #WhatShouldWeCallMe, there’s no such thing as too much of your favorite time
suckwell spent on the internet. Compile a list of links or, better yet, create your own curated “newsletter.” Subscribers: 1.
- Whatever your I-need-a-break-immediately stress reliever is, (Coffee? Gum? Happy hour?) get them more of that.
The Workout Buddy
They’ve seen you sweat, they’ve seen you cry, they’ve literally felt your pain. You might have met at the gym, but they’re the reason you always go back. Here are a few ways to give some motivation back to the one who motivates you:
- Fancy baby wipes. Preferrably in the latest fruit variety. Who wouldn’t want to wipe down with a refreshing pomegranate cleanser as you bounce from barre to bar?
- Spandex leggings. Nothing like some skin-tight unforgiveness to keep your gym game primed.
- One word: Mixtape.
You may not have a subscription to Next Gadget Daily,* but you can still gift your techie buddy something to spark their interest.
- Chargers. Since you can never find them, you can never have too many.
- A month’s supply of chips and soda. Because The Next Big Thing is always coming—might as help your techies prepare for the four weeks they’ll spend inside mastering it.
- The latest voice-controlled virtual assistant. Moving to do anything you can ask a device to do for you is really pointless.
*not a real publication, shockingly
The Proud Pet Parent
Everyone has a friend who spends more on pet food than they do on people food. Consider one of these animal accessories for your friend’s best friend.
- Cat: A four-story deluxe living-room takeover kitty scratch hotel, complete with stuffed mice.
- Fish: A 65-gallon saltwater Caribbean Paradise customized tank.
- Dog: Poop bags.
You can’t pronounce what they had for lunch, but you definitely saw it on Instagram. Show your foodie fanatic friend how much you support their passion with one of these:
- Anything copper. Foodies love copper.
- One pound of daikon radishes. They’re offbeat enough to be cool, but still taste like radishes. Gauntlet. Thrown.
- [Insert name of quirky celebrity chef here] … in whatever form you can.
No matter what your family or friends are passionate about, you can always find creative ways to get them a gift they’ll love while staying within budget – even if you’re up against the clock. Do a little research, get ideas from their closest friends and, most importantly, try to have some fun!