How to check your Capital One credit card application status
July 20, 2023 4 min read
If you’re planning to apply for a Capital One credit card, you may be wondering how long it will take Capital One to review your application. The good news is that it typically doesn’t take long. And you can check on your application to see where it stands.
Read on to learn how long it might take Capital One to make a decision about your application and how you can check your application status.
- It usually doesn’t take Capital One long to review your credit card application.
- If you apply online or by phone, you might get a decision almost immediately. But if you submit a paper application, it may take longer.
- You can check your Capital One credit card application status online or by phone.
- Missing information or errors on your application could cause a delay in processing.
How to check your credit card application status
There are two ways to check the status of your application:
- Online: You can sign in to the application center to review your credit card application status. To do so, you’ll need the last four digits of your Social Security number, your birth date and your ZIP code.
- Phone: You can check the status of your Capital One credit card application anytime by calling 800-903-9177.
How long does it take for an application decision to be made?
How long it takes Capital One to make a decision about your application typically depends on how you apply.
If you apply by phone or online, you’ll often get a response in 60 seconds. If you submit a paper application, it may take a bit longer. But no matter how you apply, Capital One generally notifies applicants of the decision in writing within seven to 10 days of receiving the application.
If you’re denied, learn more about why you may not be getting approved for a credit card.
When will I receive my credit card?
If you’re approved, you can expect to receive your Capital One card in the mail within 7-10 business days.
As a new credit card customer, you may be able to start spending and earning rewards as soon as you’re approved, without having to wait for your physical card to arrive in the mail. A virtual card for universal use can be used over and over anywhere you shop or pay online. This virtual card stands in for your actual credit card number and is available 24/7 from the Capital One Mobile app or online after you sign in to your Capital One account.
To access your virtual card for universal use, follow these steps:
- Log in to the Capital One Mobile app or sign in to your Capital One account online.
- Under your credit card balance, tap Get Your Virtual Card. Not seeing this button? Tap on your credit card account and under Recent Transactions, tap Virtual Card.
- After a quick security check, you’ll see the key card details you need to check out online: your virtual card number, expiration date and three-digit security code.
You can also store your card information in a digital wallet and use it from there while you wait for your physical card to arrive.
To learn more about credit card timelines, check out how long it takes to get a credit card.
Why wasn’t my credit application approved immediately?
There are a few reasons why a credit card’s application status may be delayed:
In some cases, Capital One may need to verify the information in your application or collect additional information before approving or declining your application.
When you apply for a Capital One credit card, Capital One requires the following information:
- Full name
- Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Date of birth
- Physical address
- Estimated annual gross income
- Checking and/or savings account information
If all the information listed above isn’t included, it could take longer to process your application.
Mistakes on the application
Accidental errors on the application may cause a delay in processing. For example, mistyping your date of birth or incorrectly inputting your address can result in mismatching information between your credit report and your application. In this case, additional details may be needed in order to process your application.
Having a frozen credit report
Freezing your credit reports is a way to restrict access as a security measure. This can keep identity thieves from being able to use your personal information to open new accounts in your name. But having a frozen credit report can also prevent you from opening new lines of credit.
Checking your Capital One credit card application status in a nutshell
It typically doesn’t take long for Capital One to review a credit card application. If you’re curious about the status of your application, you can easily check online or by phone—whichever is more convenient for you.