Credit Cards for Less-Than-Perfect Credit
Even if your credit score is a work in progress, here are four cards to consider—all with benefits you’ll love
Whether you’re applying for your first credit card or rebuilding your credit, choosing a card that supports your financial goals is a big decision. Whatever your starting point, Capital One has several options with terrific perks—some even come with cash-back rewards.
From picking your monthly due date to choosing how you want to pay, these cards give you options that put you in control of your account. Don’t get overwhelmed trying to navigate options, though.
Here are the ins and outs of some Capital One cards designed with you in mind.
Platinum Secured Card
A secured card can be an awesome credit-building tool. Because with consistent responsible use of a card like this over time, you can use one to help rebuild your credit. Platinum Secured from Capital One is one example. It has no annual fee—and no hidden fees like foreign transaction fees or authorized user fees. And if you make the minimum required security deposit, you’ll get an initial credit line of $200.
With automatic credit line reviews, you could be considered for a higher limit in as few as six months. And if you use the card responsibly, you could put yourself in position to get back your deposit and upgrade to an unsecured Platinum card.
The Platinum Mastercard® from Capital One is another great starter card. It gives you the credit you need with no annual fee. And like the Platinum Secured card, you’ll automatically be considered for a higher credit line in as few as six months.
Want to earn rewards? Check out QuicksilverOne. You could earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day. Your rewards won’t expire for the life of the account. And you can redeem them in a variety of ways.
Quicksilver Secured Rewards Card
Quicksilver Secured Rewards might also be worth considering. Similar to other secured cards, it requires a refundable deposit. But its $200 minimum deposit also comes with the ability to earn rewards to the tune of 1.5% cash back on every purchase—all with no annual fee. Plus, with responsible card use, you could earn your deposit back and upgrade to an unsecured Quicksilver card.
Student Rewards Credit Cards
Capital One has a variety of student credit cards to fit your credit goals while offering a few perks along the way. If you’re at a four-year university, a community college or another higher-education institution, you might be interested in these options. After you graduate, your card, rewards and benefits all stay with you.
- Quicksilver Rewards for Students: Like the other Quicksilver cards detailed above, Quicksilver Rewards for Students offers you the ability to earn 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day. And there’s no annual fee.
- SavorOne Rewards for Students: If going out to eat is your thing—and who doesn’t love to blow off a little steam after class—SavorOne for Students might be for you. It lets you earn unlimited 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, popular streaming services and at grocery stores1—all with no annual fee.
- Journey Student credit card: Journey lets you earn 1% cash back on every purchase. And if you pay your bill on time, you’ll boost your cash back earned to 1.25% for that month. That’s not all. You can also earn $5 per month for 12 months on select streaming subscriptions when you pay on time.2
Other Features and Benefits
No matter which of these cards you decide is right for you, they all offer great features and benefits that make using your card responsibly that much easier. Here are just a few:
- No foreign transaction fees.
- $0 fraud liability if your card is lost or stolen.
- Eno, your Capital One assistant, keeps an eye on your accounts 24/7 and reaches out if something unusual is spotted, like duplicate charges or a tip that’s more than your usual amount, and helps you fix it. You can also ask Eno questions about your account and receive instant answers online, on the mobile app or over text.3
- The Capital One Mobile app lets you manage your account anywhere, anytime.4 Pay your bill, view your balance and lock your card with a few taps if it’s ever misplaced, lost or stolen.5
Remember, there are plenty of cards designed for every credit level—even if your credit score isn’t the best just yet. Whether you’re new to credit or rebuilding your score, there might be a card for you.
And at Capital One, you can find out whether you might be approved for some of Capital One’s cards before you even apply. Pre-approval is quick, secure and only requires some basic info. And it won’t hurt your credit score.
1With Savor and SavorOne, the 3% earn rate excludes superstores like Walmart® and Target®.
2Exclusions apply. Offer available to new account holders only and your account must be in good standing. Eligible after the first on-time payment; credits may be earned within the first 18 months of account opening. The $5 statement credits are earned monthly and will appear on your account within 60 days after the on-time payment. Streaming subscriptions billed annually are not eligible. Eligible Streaming Subscriptions: Amazon Music Unlimited, AT&T Now, Audible, CBS All Access, Disney+, ESPN+, FuboTV, HBO Now, Hulu, iHeartRadio, Kindle Unlimited, MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, Netflix, NHL.TV, Pandora, Prime Video, Sling TV, SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite, Spotify, YouTube Music Premium, YouTube Premium, Google Play Music, YouTube TV.
3Eno is learning all the time and may not catch everything. Eno service outages may occur. Capital One customers are responsible for regularly checking their account statements. Texting with Eno means you agree to chat about your account over SMS and receive recurring messages. Message and data rates may apply.
Some or all Eno features may not be available to all Capital One customers, depending on the types of accounts held. For example, certain bank accounts are not eligible to text with Eno, and Eno email notifications, app notifications and virtual card numbers from Eno may not be available for certain credit cards.
The Eno browser extension for virtual card numbers is only available in certain web browsers, and enrollment is required. Virtual card numbers are not available for debit cards and some credit cards.
4Web access is needed to use the mobile app. Check with your service provider for details on specific fees and charges.
5Some activity may continue, including returns, credits, payments, interest, dispute adjustments, other account fees, purchase transactions during system downtime and certain other exempted transactions. If your card is lost or stolen, please notify Capital One as soon as possible.
We hope you found this helpful. Our content is not intended to provide legal, investment or financial advice or to indicate that a particular Capital One product or service is available or right for you. For specific advice about your unique circumstances, consider talking with a qualified professional.