Credit Cards for Less-Than-Perfect Credit
Even if your credit score is a work in progress, here are 4 cards to consider—all with benefits you’ll love
Whether you’re applying for your first credit card or rebuilding your credit, choosing a card that supports your financial goals is a big decision. Whatever your starting point, Capital One® has several options with terrific perks—some even come with cash-back rewards.
From picking your monthly due date to choosing how you want to pay, these cards give you options that put you in control of your account. Don’t get overwhelmed trying to navigate options, though.
Here are the ins and outs of some cards designed with you in mind.
A secured card is an awesome tool that—with responsible use—you can use to help rebuild your credit. The Secured Mastercard from Capital One has no annual fee. And if you make the minimum required security deposit, you’ll get an initial credit line of $200. Need a higher credit line? Just deposit more money before your account opens.
Platinum Credit Card
The Platinum Credit Card from Capital One is a great starter card. As you build credit with responsible use, you’ll potentially be in a better position to be considered for a card that offers rewards. Plus, there’s no annual fee!
Want to earn rewards? Check out QuicksilverOne. Your rewards won’t expire for the life of the account. And you can redeem them for any amount, anytime! You can apply rewards as a statement credit, redeem them on a recent purchase to eliminate it from an upcoming bill, spend them on gift cards and more. Do keep in mind, though, that there’s a $39 annual fee.
Journey® Student Card
Want cash-back rewards with no annual fee? Journey might be the answer. Designed for students, it gives you 1% cash back on every purchase—plus, if you pay your bill on time, you’ll boost your cash back to 1.25% for that month!
Other Features and Benefits
No matter which of these cards you decide is right for you, they all offer great features and benefits that make using your card responsibly that much easier. Here are just a few:
- Access to a higher credit line after making your first five monthly payments on time.
- No foreign transaction fees.
- Fraud coverage if your card is lost or stolen.
- Eno®, your Capital One assistant, keeps an eye on your accounts 24/7 and sends alerts when something’s up. You can ask questions about your account and receive instant answers.
- CreditWise® from Capital One creates personalized tips to help build your score and monitor your credit. It’s a free app that anyone can use, even if you’re not a Capital One cardholder!
- The Capital One Mobile app lets you manage your account anywhere, anytime. Pay your bill, view your balance and lock your card with a few taps if it’s ever misplaced, lost or stolen.
Remember, there are plenty of cards designed for every credit level—even if your credit score isn’t the best just yet. Whether you’re new to credit or rebuilding your score, the right card is out there!
We hope that you found this helpful. Our content is not intended to provide legal, investment, or financial advice or to indicate the Capital One product or service is available or right for you. For specific advice about your unique circumstances, consider talking with a qualified professional.