- You must be a US citizen or permanent resident with a valid Social Security number.
- Account holders must be at least 18 years old or a joint holder with an adult.
- Account opening deposit must be from a personal checking account only. Please note:
- We don't accept brokerage, money market or savings accounts (institutions put restrictions on these types of accounts that prevent electronic transfers).
- If your check has the words "Payable Through" with another bank name listed near the memo field, it can't be linked.
Adult and Teen
- You (the adult) are the only one who can make a transfer to and from this account if the teen is under 18 years old. This includes setting up and editing Automatic Savings Plans.
- The teen can access the account by using their own Username (Saver ID)/Customer Number and Password/PIN and can do the following:
- View the account balance and activity and statements.
- Create a nickname for their account and a personalized Username.
- Use their Debit MasterCard®
- Set up and receive text and/or email alerts
- Download the mobile app
- You will need to confirm ownership of your external linked checking account by confirming the two small amounts that we'll deposit in your account. (You'll receive detailed steps on the final page of this account opening process.)
- If you choose to fund your account via a linked account, you will not be able to make withdrawals from your Capital One Account until the link verification is complete.
- If you do not confirm the link within 60 days, Capital One may close the account and return the initial deposit including any interest earned to your linked account.
Interest & hold times on deposits
- Interest starts accruing on your deposit starting the next business day after we process your request.
- Keep in mind, if you receive an account bonus, it may be reported to the IRS and/or your state as interest or miscellaneous income.
- Transfers to your checking account will generally be at your bank within 3 business days.
- Although Capital One does not charge fees, we can't control the fees charged by your existing bank. Generally, banks do not charge for electronic funds transfers.
Adding a link
- You may link up to 3 personal checking accounts. Learn more about how to add a link by mail or online.
- Accounts opened online will automatically be set up to receive electronic statements.
- You'll automatically receive a statement every quarter. If there is activity on your account - in other words, a deposit or withdrawal - you'll get a statement each month.