- You must be a US citizen or permanent resident with a valid Social Security number.
- Account holders must be at least 18 years old or a joint holder with an adult.
- Account opening deposit must be from a personal checking account only. Please note:
- We don't accept brokerage, money market or savings accounts (institutions put restrictions on these types of accounts that prevent electronic transfers).
- If your check has the words "Payable Through" with another bank name listed near the memo field, it can't be linked.
- You'll need to verify ownership of your external linked checking account by confirming one or two small amounts that we'll deposit in your account. (You'll receive detailed steps on the final page of this account opening process.)
- If this is a joint account and your joint account holder is on your external checking account, that person is also required to confirm the 1 or 2 small deposits.
- If you choose to fund your account via a linked account, you (and your joint account holder if you have one) will not be able to make withdrawals from your Capital One Account until the link verification is complete.
- If you do not validate the link within 60 days Capital One may close the account, return the initial deposit including any interest earned to your linked account.
Interest & hold times on deposits
- Interest starts accruing on your deposit starting the next business day after we process your request.
- All deposits are subject to a 4 business day hold before they can be withdrawn.
- Keep in mind, if you receive an account bonus, it may be reported to the IRS and/or your state as interest or miscellaneous income.
- Transfers to your checking account will generally be at your bank within 3 business days.
- Although Capital One does not charge fees, we can't control the fees charged by your existing bank. Generally, banks do not charge for electronic funds transfers.
Adding a link
- You may link up to 3 personal checking accounts. Learn more about how to add a link by mail or online.
- Accounts opened online will automatically be set up to receive electronic statements.
- You'll automatically receive a statement every quarter. If there is activity on your account - in other words, a deposit or withdrawal - you'll get a statement each month.
Access your account online or by phone.