If your name has changed and you need to update...
- Update your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Fill out and sign a W-9 form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification Form) to match the name changes you want to make. Note: Your updated name in Box 1 of W9 must match exactly as shown on the legal document you are providing
- Prepare a copy of a legal document (i.e. valid driver’s license, marriage certificate, divorce certificate, new Social Security card) that shows the updated name.
When you have the above ready to go, either mail the completed and signed W-9 form and a copy of your legal document to Capital One, P.O. Box 60, St. Cloud, MN 56302 or fax to 1-877-464-4963 ATTN: Capital One.
If you have a minor typo in your middle or first name (2 or less characters) please give us a call at 1-888-464-0727 so that we can update your name.
Once the documents are received, the name change will go into effect within 5-7 business days and then you should see it reflected online. If you would like to receive a new debit card with your new name, please follow the steps below:
- Sign in online at capitalone.com or on the Capital One mobile app (text "MOBILE" to 80101 for a link to download).
- Select the spending account for your debit card.
On the web : Choose “Account Services and Settings.”
Under “Manage Debit Card,” choose “Replace Damaged Card” and follow the steps.
On the app : Select "View All" from the "I Want To..." menu.
Scroll down to "Replace damaged card" and follow the steps.
For Capital One branch accounts find a branch near you using our Branch Locator to change your name on your account(s).