Sign in to your online account, and select the card you want to close. Click on the “I want to” button and find “Close Account” under the "Control Your Card" section. From here, you'll be guided through how to close your credit card account.
Is there a fee if I close my account?
No, we do not charge a fee for closing a Capital One credit card account.
What happens to rewards if I close my credit card account?
- Your rewards never expire for the life of your account. You have many ways to redeem your rewards before you close your account.
- Accounts must be in good standing at time of earning rewards, including bonuses. Accounts that are not in good standing (e.g., suspended, restricted, delinquent, or otherwise in default or closed) may have different redemption options or may lose any unredeemed rewards.
Will closing my credit card account impact my credit score?
Closing an account may affect the age of your credit and your credit utilization ratio, which may lower your credit score. Learn more.
What happens to the remaining balance on my account?
- If you still have a balance when you close your account, you are required to pay off any balance until it reaches zero
- You’ll continue to receive statements until the balance is zero
- Any charges you made before closing your account will still post