Korea is far from Colorado, but the 2022 Kia Telluride (which is named after the famous Colorado ski resort) embodies the right mix of style, image, size, utility, and value to transcend preconceptions. A midsize crossover SUV with seating for up to eight people, the Telluride is made in West Point, Georgia, specifically for American consumers.
2022 Kia Telluride Review: Configurations
Kia offers the 2022 Telluride in four trim levels.
- Telluride LX — Though it serves as the base trim level, the Telluride LX is anything but basic. Highlights include simulated leather upholstery, three-zone automatic climate control, a 10.25-inch touchscreen for an infotainment system that includes navigation, and a full roster of safety systems, including Highway Driving Assist, a hands-on semi-autonomous driving assistance system
- Telluride S — Machined-finish 20-inch wheels and upgraded exterior trim improve the Telluride S model’s appearance. This version of the SUV also boasts a power sunroof, LED interior lighting, an 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, heated front seats, second-row captain’s chairs, and wireless smartphone charging
- Telluride EX — This version of the Telluride rides on smaller 18-inch wheels. Still, it comes with power-folding exterior mirrors, leather seats with front cushion ventilation, an 8-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat, a second-row bench seat, second-row side window sunshades, and a hands-free power liftgate
- Telluride SX — Black 20-inch alloy wheels are standard with SX trim, along with full LED lighting with automatic high-beam headlights, dual sunroofs, upgraded instrumentation, 64-color ambient interior lighting, a 10-way power driver’s seat with memory settings, second-row captain’s chairs, a 10-speaker premium sound system, a surround-view camera system, a camera-based blind-spot warning system, and front parking sensors
Additionally, a Nightfall Edition package adds a blacked-out appearance to the EX and SX trim, while an SX Prestige package takes the Telluride closer to luxury SUV territory.
What’s New for the 2022 Kia Telluride?
In addition to new Kia logos and revised grille designs, every 2022 Telluride now has a 10.25-inch infotainment system touchscreen display with a navigation system, three-zone automatic climate control, adaptive cruise control that employs navigation data for operation, and Highway Driving Assist semi-autonomous driving assistance technology. In addition, all but the Telluride LX include wireless smartphone charging.
Kia Telluride Competitors for 2022
The 2022 Kia Telluride faces a long list of rivals in the 3-row, family SUV segment. Many are long-standing sales leaders, such as the Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder, and Toyota Highlander. Others are relative newcomers themselves, including the Hyundai Palisade, Jeep Grand Cherokee L, Subaru Ascent, and Volkswagen Atlas. Yet, despite the Telluride’s recent arrival in the segment, it sets standards that its competitors struggle to match, let alone exceed.
2022 Kia Telluride Review: Features
You can equip a 2022 Kia Telluride with every factory option, and the price barely breaks the $50,000 barrier. As a result, this SUV is one of those rare vehicles that seems worth every penny at sticker price, contributing to its continued success with American families.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist — Standard forward-collision warning and automatic emergency braking system with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Blind Spot Detection and Avoidance — Standard feature warns the driver when other vehicles are in the Telluride’s blind spots and can try to prevent unsafe lane changes
- Ultrasonic Rear Occupant Alert — Can sense movement inside the Telluride for up to 24 hours and alert the owner via text message
- Highway Driving Assist — Standard hands-on driving assistance system combining adaptive cruise control with lane-centering assistance
- Blind Spot View Monitor — Available camera-based blind-spot monitoring technology*
- Infotainment system — Includes a standard 10.25-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard support for iOS and Android devices
- Navigation system — Standard feature
- Kia Connect — Standard connected services with a remote-access smartphone app
- Head-up Display — Available feature*
- 3.8L V6
- 291 hp
- 8-speed automatic
- Front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive
- 21 mpg (AWD) to 23 mpg (FWD) in combined driving
- Three-zone automatic climate control — Standard feature
- SynTex upholstery — Standard simulated leather in LX and S trim levels
- Leather upholstery — Available feature, with an optional upgrade to premium leather*
- Heated and ventilated seats — Available feature for the front and second-row seats*
- Premium sound system — Available feature with ten speakers*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections