One of the first midsize crossover SUVs to go on sale in America, the Toyota Highlander remains popular with families more than two decades after the model initially went on sale. Equipped with three rows of seats and capacity for up to eight people, the 2022 Highlander comes with a standard V6 engine or an available hybrid drivetrain and front-wheel or all-wheel drive.
2022 Toyota Highlander Review Configurations
Toyota offers the 2022 Highlander in seven trim levels. Some come only with the standard V6, and some come only with the available hybrid powertrain. Highlights from their standard equipment lists are as follows:
- Highlander L — Available only with a V6 engine, the entry-level Highlander has 18-inch alloy wheels, a windshield wiper de-icer, heated side mirrors, and dark-tinted rear privacy glass. Inside, triple-zone automatic climate control is standard, plus an 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and cloth upholstery. An 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system equips the Highlander with smartphone mirroring, satellite radio, and connected services, including a Wi-Fi hotspot. Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.5+ installs a range of driving assistance and collision avoidance technologies
- Highlander LE — Fog lights dress up the Highlander LE, which also adds a power rear liftgate and a leather-wrapped steering wheel. A blind-spot warning system with rear cross-traffic warning is also standard on the LE trim, and this version of the SUV is available with either a V6 engine or the hybrid powertrain
- Highlander XLE — You can tell the XLE apart by its machined-finish 18-inch alloy wheels and silver roof rails. This version also has a power sunroof, simulated leather upholstery, a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, an 8-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat, and second-row captain’s chairs with side window sunshades. Wireless smartphone charging is also standard
- Highlander XSE — The Highlander XSE is the fun-to-drive model, and it comes only with a V6 engine. It has sport-design exterior styling, 20-inch alloy wheels, a sport-tuned suspension, and ambient interior lighting. Order it with the optional AWD system, and it includes dynamic torque vectoring, too
- Highlander Bronze Edition — Based on the XLE trim, the new Bronze Edition comes only with a hybrid powertrain. In addition to bronze-color wheels and accents, it features rain-sensing wipers, a hands-free power rear liftgate, a digital rearview mirror, ambient interior lighting, and two 120-volt power outlets
- Highlander Limited — Limited trim builds off the Highlander XLE, adding 20-inch chrome alloy wheels, silver roof rails, exterior puddle lighting, and a hands-free power rear liftgate. Inside, genuine leather covers the seats, and the driver and front passenger benefit from heating and ventilation. The Limited also has upgraded interior trim, ambient interior lighting, and a 120-volt power outlet. The infotainment system adds a premium sound system, navigation, and a Driver Easy Speak communication system. Front and rear parking sensors and low-speed automatic braking are also standard, and when you get AWD, the Limited V6 includes dynamic torque vectoring
- Highlander Platinum — An adaptive front lighting system is standard with Platinum trim, swiveling the headlights in the direction the SUV turns to improve visibility. This version of the Highlander also gets unique 20-inch alloy wheels and exterior trim, a panoramic glass sunroof, a digital rearview mirror, and heated second-row seats. In addition, a 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system is standard, along with a head-up display and a surround-view camera system
What’s New for the 2022 Toyota Highlander?
Toyota introduces a new Bronze Edition of the Highlander Hybrid for the 2022 model year. It comes with bronze-color 18-inch wheels and exterior accents and pairs with white, black, or gray paint. Inside, bronze stitching and what Toyota claims is a mid-century modern-inspired seat design set the Highlander Hybrid Bronze Edition apart. Additionally, starting with the XLE trim, all 2022 Highlander models get an 8-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat.
Toyota Highlander Competitors for 2022
With the 2022 Highlander, Toyota competes with many family-sized, 3-row crossover SUVs. However, only the Ford Explorer and Kia Sorento offer both a third-row seat and a hybrid powertrain option. Overall, compared to the entire list of its rivals, the Highlander is sized and priced smack in the middle of the segment.
2022 Toyota Highlander Review Features
Thanks to its reputation for reliability and strong safety ratings, the 2022 Toyota Highlander is a popular choice for people seeking a family SUV that will last a long time. And with available fuel economy ratings of up to 36 mpg in combined driving, the hybrid version of the Highlander adds efficiency to the list of positive attributes.
- Pre-Collision System — Standard forward-collision warning and automatic emergency braking system. Includes low-light pedestrian detection
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist — Standard lane-departure warning system with lane-keeping assistance
- Lane Tracing Assist — Standard lane-centering assistance system
- Blind Spot Monitor — Available blind-spot warning feature with rear cross-traffic warning*
- Front and Rear Parking Assist — Available parking sensors with front and rear automatic braking*
- Infotainment system — Standard 8-inch and available 12.3-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard support for iOS and Android devices
- Connected services — Standard feature with limited complimentary trial periods to plans, including Wi-Fi
- Wireless smartphone charging — Available feature*
- Digital rearview mirror — Available feature with camera-based, unobstructed view to the rear*
- 3.5L V6, 295 hp
- 2.5L four-cylinder with electric-assist motors and a battery pack, 243 hp
- 8-speed automatic (V6); electronic continuously variable transmission (hybrid)
- Front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive
- 23-24 mpg combined (V6); 35-36 mpg combined (hybrid)
- Triple-zone automatic climate control — Standard feature
- Leather seats — Available feature*
- Heated and ventilated front seats — Available feature*
- Heated second-row seats — Available feature*
- Premium sound system — Available feature with 11 speakers*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level specifications