What is the Buick Encore GX?
Buick sells two different Encore models. The first is the original flavor Encore, a surprise hit for the automaker that blended a nice price with SUV utility in a small, easy-to-drive, turbocharged package. The second is the Encore GX, which aims to be a little more upscale with attractive styling, better tech, and slightly larger dimensions. This review covers the 2022 Buick Encore GX.
What’s New for the 2022 Buick Encore GX?
Buick introduced the Encore GX as a late 2020 model-year vehicle and has made few changes to the crossover SUV since its arrival. However, this year, three new paint colors debut, and like all of the Encore GX’s hues except for non-metallic Summit White, they cost at least several hundred dollars extra.
How Much is a Buick Encore GX?
This year, 2022 Buick Encore GX prices range from the mid $20,000s to the low $30,000s, including the destination charge to ship the vehicle from the Incheon, South Korea, factory that builds it to your local dealership.
2022 Buick Encore GX Trim Levels and Configurations
Every 2022 Encore GX offers five-passenger seating, 23.5 cubic feet of cargo space behind the back seat, and 50.2 cu.-ft. of cargo space with the rear seat folded down. This model also has a fold-flat front passenger’s seat, allowing the Encore GX to hold long items with the rear liftgate closed.
The powertrain lineup is confusing. A turbocharged 1.2L three-cylinder engine good for 137 horsepower is standard, and the available engine is a turbocharged 1.3L three-cylinder that makes 155 horsepower. A continuously variable transmission (CVT) is standard with front-wheel drive (FWD), while a nine-speed automatic comes with the optional all-wheel-drive system (AWD).
Also, if you get the AWD drivetrain, the larger 1.3L turbo engine is required, and Buick swaps out the torsion beam rear suspension design for a more sophisticated independent setup.
The Encore GX model lineup includes three trim levels:
Buick Encore GX Preferred – The base trim for the Encore GX comes with 18-inch aluminum wheels, automatic high-beam headlights, heated and power-adjustable exterior mirrors, dark tinted rear privacy glass, hands-free keyless entry, and push-button engine starting. Inside, the SUV features automatic climate control, a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, and a manually height-adjustable driver’s seat.
The standard infotainment system equips this Buick with an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, simultaneous Bluetooth pairing for two devices, wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, connected services with access to a Wi-Fi hotspot, satellite radio, and six stereo speakers. Safety features include forward-collision warning, pedestrian detection, automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, and lane-keeping assist.
Buick Encore GX Select – To get AWD, you must first upgrade to the Encore GX Select, on which it is an option. Select trim includes roof rails, remote engine start, dual-zone automatic climate control with a humidity sensor and an air filtration system, a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, and heated front seats.
Buick Encore GX Essence – The Essence includes the larger turbocharged 1.3L engine and is also available with AWD. It distinguishes itself with LED headlights and taillights, chrome exterior accents, a 120-volt power outlet, upgraded interior heating and defrosting, and a heated steering wheel. Essence trim also equips the Encore GX with leather upholstery, memory for the driver’s settings, and an eight-way power-adjustable front passenger’s seat.
Buick Encore GX Competitors for 2022
Buick positions itself as a premium brand, making the Jeep Compass and the Mazda CX-30 the Encore GX’s direct competitors. Other subcompact SUV alternatives include the Chevrolet Trailblazer, Honda HR-V, Hyundai Kona, Kia Seltos, Nissan Rogue Sport, Toyota Corolla Cross, Subaru Crosstrek, and Volkswagen Taos.
Buick Encore Features
The Buick Encore GX is a great-looking small SUV with many appealing features, including its unique fold-flat front passenger seat that accommodates longer cargo. The Encore GX also earns a Top Safety Pick rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
2022 Buick Encore GX Safety Features
- Teen Driver – Standard feature monitors how young drivers use the Encore GX and produces a report card for parents
- Lane Keep Assist – Standard feature adds steering assistance to prevent an unintended lane departure
- Side Blind Zone Alert – Available blind-spot monitoring system warns the driver when other vehicles are in the SUV’s blind spots*
- Rear cross-traffic alert – Available feature warns the driver when other vehicles are approaching from the sides while the Encore GX is in reverse*
- Adaptive cruise control – Available feature maintains a safe following distance to vehicles ahead*
2022 Buick Encore GX Technology Features
- Infotainment system – Standard 8-inch touchscreen
- Smartphone connectivity – Standard Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
- Connected services – Standard feature, including access to a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Wireless smartphone charging – Available feature*
- Remote start – Available feature*
2022 Buick Encore GX Interior Features
- Artificial leather seats – Standard feature
- Leather seats – Available feature*
- Heated front seats and steering wheel – Available features*
- Panoramic sunroof – Available feature*
- Premium sound system – Available seven-speaker Bose audio system*
2022 Buick Encore GX Specs
1.2L turbocharged three-cylinder engine
- 137 hp and 162 lb.-ft. of torque
- Continuously variable transmission
- Front-wheel drive
- EPA fuel economy rating of 30 mpg in combined driving
- 1,000-lb. maximum towing capacity
1.3L turbocharged three-cylinder engine
- 155 hp and 174 lb.-ft. of torque
- Continuously variable transmission or 9-speed automatic transmission
- Front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive
- EPA fuel economy rating of 27 mpg to 30 mpg in combined driving
- 1,000-lb. maximum towing capacity
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections