The 2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer is a small crossover SUV equipped with five-passenger seating, a choice between front-wheel drive (FWD) and all-wheel drive (AWD), and cargo space that expands from 25.3 cu. ft. to 54.4 cu. ft. when you fold the back seat down. In addition, to enhance utility, the front passenger’s seat folds flat to accommodate items up to 8.5 feet in length.
Though the model lineup is simple, the powertrain lineup is not. Two turbocharged three-cylinder engines are available. The 1.2L engine is offered only with FWD, while the 1.3L engine is available with FWD and is required to get AWD. Both engines use a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with FWD, while the 1.3L bolts to a 9-speed automatic transmission when you get AWD. Additionally, Trailblazers with AWD have a more sophisticated rear suspension design that improves the ride and handling.
Got all that? Great. Let’s learn more about the 2022 Trailblazer.
What’s New for the 2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer?
In addition to four new paint colors, the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer is now available with a heated steering wheel and dealer-installed roof-rack crossbars. You can also get a Trailering Package, but keep in mind the Trailblazer can tow no more than 1,000 lbs.
How Much is a Chevrolet Trailblazer?
This year, the 2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer price range is from the low $20,000s to the high $20,000s, including the destination charge to ship the SUV from the Incheon, South Korean factory that builds it to your local dealership.
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer Trim Levels and Configurations
Chevrolet offers the 2022 Trailblazer in four trim levels. Highlights of each are as follows:
Chevrolet Trailblazer LS — Though this is the base model, it doesn’t look cheap thanks to its appealing 17-inch aluminum wheels. Additionally, the Trailblazer LS has air conditioning, a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, cloth seats, and a height-adjustable driver’s seat. A standard fold-flat front passenger’s seat makes it possible for the small SUV to carry 8.5-foot-long items inside with the rear liftgate closed.
On the technology front, the Trailblazer LS has a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Bluetooth connectivity, wireless Apple CarPlay, wireless Android Auto, satellite radio, Chevrolet Connected Services (including access to a Wi-Fi hotspot), and a Teen Driver monitoring system. Chevy Safety Assist is also standard, equipping the SUV with forward-collision warning with pedestrian detection, automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and automatic high-beam headlights.
Chevrolet Trailblazer LT — Chevy upgrades the Trailblazer LT model’s 17-inch aluminum wheels, painting them black with a machined surface. This version of the SUV also comes with fog lights, dark-tinted rear privacy glass, heated side mirrors, roof rails, remote keyless entry, push-button engine starting, and remote engine starting. Cruise control is also standard with LT trim, plus a 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat and heated front seats.
Chevrolet Trailblazer Activ — Styled and equipped for traveling off-road, the Trailblazer Activ has a larger and more powerful standard engine, sport-terrain tires, unique suspension tuning, and a functional skid plate. It sits on unique 17-inch aluminum wheels, and features LED taillights, simulated leather upholstery, a heated steering wheel, and two-tone exterior paint with a white or Zeus Bronze contrasting roof color.
Chevrolet Trailblazer RS — The Trailblazer RS is the sporty-looking one. It gets the same larger and more powerful engine as the Activ, but has exclusive 18-inch aluminum wheels, blacked-out exterior badges, LED taillights, and two-tone paint with a black or red contrasting roof color. Inside, this model has cloth and simulated leather upholstery and a heated steering wheel.
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer Review and Test Drive
We plan to evaluate and review this vehicle during the current model year, so we’ll update this page with driving impressions later.
Does the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer have wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless charging?
Every 2022 Trailblazer comes with wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto as standard equipment. You can also add a Wi-Fi hotspot if you’re willing to pay for the service. However, if you want a wireless smartphone charger, you’ll need to choose the Activ or RS trim and upgrade the SUV with the optional Technology package.
Chevrolet Trailblazer Competitors for 2022
The small SUV segment has exploded in popularity in recent years. As such, the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer faces numerous rivals in the subcompact SUV class. They include the Buick Encore GX, Ford EcoSport, Honda HR-V, Hyundai Kona, Jeep Renegade, Kia Seltos, Mazda CX-30, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, Nissan Rogue Sport, Subaru Crosstrek, Toyota Corolla Cross, and Volkswagen Taos.
Chevrolet Trailblazer Features
Aside from its complex drivetrain lineup, the 2022 Chevy Trailblazer is refreshingly simple and undeniably stylish. The SUV also earns top safety ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Fuel economy is good, too, ranging between 28 mpg and 31 mpg in combined driving.
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer Safety Features
- Rear Seat Reminder — Standard feature reminds the driver to check the back seat before locking and leaving the SUV
- Chevy Safety Assist — Standard package of driver-assist and collision avoidance systems
- Teen Driver — Standard driver monitoring system that provides parents with a driving report card
- Side Blind Zone Alert — Available blind-spot monitoring system paired with rear cross-traffic alert*
- Adaptive Cruise Control — Available feature automatically maintains a safe following distance to vehicles ahead*
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer Technology
- Infotainment system — Standard 7-inch and available 8-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone integration — Standard wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Satellite radio — Standard feature
- Connected services — Standard feature; requires a paid subscription to services including a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Tire Fill Alert — Standard feature that makes it easier to maintain proper tire pressure
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer Specs
- 1.2L turbocharged three-cylinder engine, 137 hp, 162 lb.-ft. of torque
- 1.3L turbocharged three-cylinder engine, 155 hp, 174 lb.-ft. of torque
- Continuously variable automatic transmission (FWD)
- 9-speed automatic transmission (AWD)
- EPA fuel economy ratings: 28 mpg to 31 mpg in combined driving
2022 Chevrolet Trailblazer Interior
- Simulated leather — Available feature*
- Heated front seats — Available feature*
- Heated steering wheel — Available feature*
- Panoramic sunroof — Available feature*
- Premium sound system — Available Bose audio system*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections