The 2022 Honda HR-V is a small crossover SUV designed for use on pavement or well-traveled trails. It is the most affordable vehicle in Honda’s lineup, priced about $500 less than a Civic sedan. And though the HR-V is small in size, it is big on utility, featuring plenty of interior space and as much as 24.3 cu. ft. of cargo space behind its Magic Seat. What’s that? A back seat that flips and folds to accommodate a wide range of items. The maximum cargo area measures 58.8 cu. ft., which is generous for the small crossover SUV segment.
What’s New for the 2022 Honda HR-V?
Honda makes no changes to the HR-V for the 2022 model year. In part, that’s because a redesigned 2023 Honda HR-V is coming soon.
2022 Honda HR-V Price and Configurations
This year, 2022 Honda HR-V prices range from the mid $20,000s to the high $20,000s. Four trim levels are available, as outlined below:
Honda HR-V LX — At its base price, the HR-V includes 17-inch alloy wheels, power-adjustable side mirrors, power windows, power door locks with remote keyless entry, and cruise control. Air conditioning is standard, along with a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, a manual driver’s seat height adjuster, and floor mats. The infotainment system offers a 5-inch static display, Bluetooth connectivity, a single USB port, and four stereo speakers. Unfortunately, the only driver-assist feature is a multi-angle reversing camera.
Honda HR-V Sport — Sport trim adds 18-inch matte black wheels, fog lights, black mirror caps, roof rails, a body kit, and dark-tinted rear privacy glass. Inside, the HR-V Sport adds upgraded interior trim, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, and an Active Noise Cancellation system to help make the cabin quieter. A 7-inch touchscreen infotainment display is standard, adding Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and text-messaging support to the SUV. Sport trim also equips the HR-V with an additional USB port and a slightly more powerful audio system.
Honda HR-V EX — The HR-V EX deletes most of the Sport trim’s unique appearance features and bolts on a set of 17-inch machined-finish alloy wheels. You’ll want the EX trim for its heated side mirrors, power sunroof, push-button engine starting, automatic climate control, heated front seats, satellite radio, and six-speaker sound system. The HR-V EX also features automatic door locking when you walk away from the SUV with the remote keyless entry fob.
However, the most beneficial upgrade with this trim level is Honda Sensing, a collection of driver assistance and collision avoidance systems that makes this version of the SUV safer to drive.
Honda HR-V EX-L — The EX-L trim comes with EX equipment plus leather seats and an automatic dimming rearview mirror.
Is the 2022 Honda HR-V a Good SUV?
What makes the Honda HR-V a good SUV is its sheer practicality and utility. The cargo space is generous for the small crossover class, and all HR-V models have the second-row Magic Seat, which offers several different “modes” that allow the HR-V to carry a variety of items. Add nimble handling, good fuel economy, and a reputation for reliability, and the Honda HR-V is broadly appealing to people without any plans for going off-road. If there is a downside here, it’s the HR-V’s unremarkable powertrain, but most small SUVs suffer the same problem.
Honda HR-V Competitors for 2022
The small SUV segment has grown as consumers shift away from compact cars and into crossovers. Some automakers even offer two of them. That means the Honda HR-V faces more rivals than ever before.
The competition includes the Buick Encore and Encore GX, Chevrolet Trax and Trailblazer, Jeep Renegade and Compass, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport and Eclipse Cross, Nissan Kicks and Rogue Sport, and Toyota C-HR and Corolla Cross. Additionally, the HR-V squares off against the Hyundai Kona, Kia Seltos, Mazda CX-30, Subaru Crosstrek, and Volkswagen Taos.
Honda HR-V Features
When you need maximum utility and all-wheel-drive traction in an affordable vehicle, the 2022 Honda HR-V delivers on all three counts. It won’t thrill you in the acceleration department, but it does offer the agile, entertaining driving character for which Hondas are known.
2022 Honda HR-V Safety Features
- Rearview camera — Standard feature with multiple viewing angles
- Collision Mitigation Braking — Available automatic emergency braking feature* engages if the driver ignores forward-collision warnings
- Road Departure Mitigation — Available feature* steers the HR-V back into the intended lane of travel if the driver ignores lane-departure warnings
- Lane Keeping Assist — Available feature* works in tandem with adaptive cruise control and centers the HR-V in the middle of its lane of travel
- LaneWatch — Available feature* uses a camera to show the driver what’s in the HR-V right-side blind spot
2022 Honda HR-V Technology
- Infotainment system — Standard 5-inch static or available 7-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone integration — Available* Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Satellite radio — Available Sirius XM service (subscription required)*
- HondaLink — Smartphone app that can tell you where you parked the HR-V
- Automatic climate control — Available feature* with a touch-sensing control panel
2022 Honda HR-V Specs
- 1.8L four-cylinder engine
- 141 hp and 127 lb.-ft. of torque
- Continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT)
- Front-wheel drive (FWD) or all-wheel drive (AWD)
- EPA fuel economy ratings — 28 mpg to 30 mpg in combined driving
2022 Honda HR-V Interior
- Magic Seat — Standard rear-seat design that allows the HR-V to carry a range of objects
- Power moonroof — Available feature*
- Active Noise Cancellation — Available feature*
- Heated front seats — Available feature*
- Leather seats — Available feature*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections