Crosstrek buyers choose between two gasoline engines and two transmissions. Subaru also offers the crossover as a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) with 17 miles of electric driving range and 480 miles of total driving range. The Crosstrek Hybrid’s EPA fuel economy rating is 35 mpg in combined driving when traveling in hybrid mode.
Plug-in hybrid versions of the 2022 Crosstrek have less cargo space than the standard versions. When equipped with one of the gasoline engines, this Subaru can carry 20.8 cu.-ft. of cargo behind its back seat and offers a maximum of 55.3 cu.-ft. of cargo area with the rear seat folded down. Compare that to the Crosstrek PHEV, which offers 15.9 cu.-ft. and 43.1 cu.-ft., respectively, due to the battery pack’s location underneath the cargo floor.
What’s New for the 2022 Subaru Crosstrek?Following an update to its styling, engine lineup, driving dynamics, and safety features in 2021, the 2022 Subaru Crosstrek returns without any changes.
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Price and ConfigurationsThis year, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek prices range from the mid $20,000s to the mid $30,000s. Five trim levels are available, as defined below:
Subaru Crosstrek — Every 2022 Crosstrek has standard all-wheel drive. The base trim level also includes a six-speed manual transmission, 17 inch alloy wheels, folding and power-adjustable exterior mirrors, raised roof rails, and remote keyless entry. Inside, the Crosstrek features cloth upholstery, a height-adjustable driver’s seat, a 60/40-split folding back seat, a tilt-and-telescopic steering wheel, automatic climate control, and cruise control.
Additionally, a 6.5 inch touchscreen infotainment system is standard, and it comes with four stereo speakers plus Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto smartphone connectivity. Because the Crosstrek has a manual transmission, Subaru’s EyeSight collection of driver-assist and collision avoidance systems is optional and offered only with the available CVT.
Subaru Crosstrek Premium — Step up to the Crosstrek Premium for automatic headlights, fog lights, heated exterior mirrors, a windshield wiper de-icing system, and heated front seats. This version also has upgraded interior materials and lighting, an additional USB port, a cargo cover, and a cargo tray. In addition, the infotainment system adds a CD player, satellite radio, connected services with Wi-Fi access, and more stereo speakers.
Subaru Crosstrek Sport — The Crosstrek Sport swaps the 2.0L base engine for a more powerful standard 2.5L engine and a CVT with paddle shifters. As such, it also has standard EyeSight, which equips the Crosstrek with forward-collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and lane-centering assist. In addition, adaptive cruise control is also standard on the Crosstrek Sport.
Additionally, the Sport trim comes with Subaru’s X-Mode drivetrain management and traction technology, hill descent control, push-button engine starting, and water-repellant simulated leather upholstery. Thanks to the standard PIN-Code Access system, owners can safely leave the key fob locked inside the vehicle while adventuring on foot, bike, kayak, skis, or what-have-you.
Subaru Crosstrek Limited — With Limited trim, the Crosstrek includes 18 inch alloy wheels, steering responsive headlights with automatic high-beam operation, and LED fog lights. Leather seats are standard, along with a power-adjustable driver’s seat, a larger 8 inch touchscreen for the infotainment system, and text-messaging support. Reverse automatic braking is also standard with Limited trim.
Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid — Subaru bases the Crosstrek Hybrid on the Limited model. However, the hybrids have minor changes to help drivers monitor the unique powertrain and reduce rolling resistance and improve aerodynamics while driving.
Is Subaru Discontinuing the Crosstrek?The Crosstrek was Subaru’s third best-selling model in 2021, following the larger Forester compact SUV and Outback midsize model. Considering the Crosstrek’s popularity and the explosion of consumer interest in the small SUV segment, it is unlikely that Subaru will discontinue the model. More likely, Subaru will stop selling the Impreza on which it is based, at least in the U.S. market, because Americans simply don’t buy cars anymore. Instead, they purchase crossovers like the Crosstrek. So expect Subaru to redesign the Crosstrek for the 2023 or 2024 model year.
Subaru Crosstrek Competitors for 2022The 2022 Crosstrek is Subaru’s entry-level, small SUV. It faces an increasingly long list of rivals in the segment, but few of them offer standard AWD, and none quite match its 8.7 inches of ground clearance. The competition includes the Buick Encore GX, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Ford Bronco Sport, Honda HR-V, Hyundai Kona, Jeep Compass, Kia Seltos, Mazda CX-30, Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, Nissan Rogue Sport, Toyota Corolla Cross, and Volkswagen Taos.
Subaru Crosstrek Features
In addition to its standard ability to battle Mother Nature and head reasonably far off-road, the 2022 Subaru Crosstrek is a Top Safety Pick according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Overall, it is an excellent choice for a small SUV.
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Safety Features
- EyeSight — Available package of driver assistance and collision avoidance technologies*
- Starlink Safety and Security — Available connected services package, including automatic collision notification and SOS emergency assistance*
- Blind Spot Detection — Available feature that warns the driver when other vehicles are in the Crosstrek’s blind spots*
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert — Available feature that warns the driver when other vehicles are approaching the Crosstrek from the sides while reversing*
- Steering Responsive Headlights — Available feature that helps the driver to see around dark corners and curves after dark*
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Technology
- Starlink infotainment system — Standard 6.5 inch and available* 8-inch touchscreen displays
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto — Standard feature
- Navigation system — Available feature*
- Wi-Fi connectivity — Available feature with a paid subscription to the service*
- Remote engine starting — Available feature with a paid subscription to the service*
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Specs
- 2.0L four-cylinder boxer-type engine; 152 hp and 145 lb.-ft. of torque (base and Premium)
- 2.5L four-cylinder boxer-type engine; 182 hp and 176 lb.-ft. (Sport and Limited)
- Plug-in hybrid with a four-cylinder gas engine, electric motor, and battery pack; 148 hp
- Six-speed manual transmission or continuously variable transmission (CVT)
- EPA fuel economy ratings: 25 mpg (6-speed manual); 29-30 mpg (CVT); 35 mpg (Crosstrek Hybrid)
2022 Subaru Crosstrek Interior
- Water-repellant seats — Available feature*
- Leather seats — Available feature*
- Heated front seats and steering wheel — Available feature*
- PIN-Code Access — Available feature allows owners to leave the key fob locked in the car while enjoying activities*
- Premium sound system — Available Harman Kardon system with eight speakers*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections