A compact crossover SUV, the 2022 Mazda CX-5 is the automaker’s best-selling model. It is available in a range of trim levels and with a standard four-cylinder engine or an available turbocharged four-cylinder engine. In addition, starting with the 2022 model year, every CX-5 also has standard all-wheel drive.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Configurations
For the 2022 model year, the Mazda CX-5 is available in eight configurations. The 2.5 S models have the standard 187 hp 2.5L four-cylinder engine, while the 2.5 Turbo models have the available 256 hp 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine. The 2022 CX-5’s reworked trim level structure and standard equipment highlights follow below:
- CX-5 2.5 S — In addition to gray 17 inch alloy wheels, cloth seats, remote keyless entry with push-button engine starting, and single-zone automatic climate control, the base CX-5 includes a generous helping of technology. A 10.25 inch infotainment system display is standard, but it is not a touchscreen. Instead, you operate it using controls on the center console. It comes with smartphone mirroring capability and three years of complimentary Mazda Connected Services. A Wi-Fi hotspot is free for three months before owners must pay extra for service. Additionally, Mazda’s i-Activsense collection of advanced driving assistance and collision avoidance systems is standard on every 2022 CX-5
- CX-5 2.5 S Select — With Select trim, the CX-5 adds dark-tinted rear privacy glass, a hands-free remote keyless entry system, dual-zone automatic climate control with rear air conditioning vents, and simulated leather upholstery. Heated front seats are standard, and the driver’s seat has a six-way power adjustment while the front passenger’s seat gains a manual height adjuster
- CX-5 2.5 S Preferred — This version of the CX-5 has leather seats, an eight-way power driver’s seat, and a six-way power front passenger’s seat. A power sunroof, a power rear liftgate, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror with a programmable garage door opener are also standard
- CX-5 2.5 S Carbon Edition — Exclusive Polymetal Gray paint identifies the Carbon Edition, along with black 19 inch alloy wheels, black mirror caps, and black interior and exterior trim. You can also choose between Black and Red leather for this mode
- CX-5 2.5 S Premium — Premium trim adds Normal, Sport, and Off-Road driving modes to the CX-5, plus a set of paddle shifters. It also includes 19 inch silver alloy wheels, heated side mirrors, upgraded exterior lighting, and curve-adaptive headlights. Satellite radio and a ten-speaker premium sound system are also a part of this trim level
- CX-5 2.5 S Premium Plus — This CX-5 model includes a heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, and a windshield wiper de-icer. Automatic power-folding side mirrors are also standard, along with a head-up display
- CX-5 2.5 Turbo — A more powerful turbocharged engine is standard in this model, which builds on Premium Plus trim. It also has blacked-out exterior trim, black wheels, and a wireless smartphone charger
- CX-5 2.5 Turbo Signature — The top trim level for the CX-5 features body-color exterior trim, bright silver wheels and accents, and exclusive premium leather upholstery complemented by authentic wood trim. The upscale interior also features bright silver accents, LED cabin lighting, a black headliner, and a unique steering wheel. Navigation is standard, along with a traffic-sign recognition system. The i-Activsense collection also expands to include front and rear parking sensors, a 360-degree surround-view camera, automatic rear braking, and a driver monitoring system. Signature trim also equips the CX-5 with a low-speed, semi-autonomous driving technology called Traffic Jam Assist
What’s New for the 2022 Mazda CX-5?
Mazda adds standard all-wheel drive to the 2022 CX-5 and completely reworks the model lineup for the new model year. Unfortunately, as a part of this update, the Carbon Edition is no longer available with a turbocharged engine, which is slightly more powerful this year. Mazda also retunes the CX-5’s driving dynamics with body, transmission, and suspension modifications that the automaker says will make the SUV quieter, more refined, and more enjoyable to drive. In addition, upper trims get new Mazda Intelligent Drive Select driving modes for 2022.
To visually signal the upgraded 2022 CX-5, freshened front and rear styling are also new for 2022, and the 2.5 Turbo Signature gets a more upscale appearance than the previous Signature trim offered in 2021. All CX-5s get redesigned front seats for added comfort, while the Signature boasts several new i-Activsense safety technologies.
Mazda CX-5 Competitors for 2022
Due to its interior size and cargo volume, the Mazda CX-5 is one of the smaller members of the compact crossover SUV segment. That puts it up against rivals including the Ford Escape and Kia Sportage. Furthermore, Mazda increasingly positions its vehicles as premium-brand offerings. With this in mind, the Buick Encore GX and Envision are prime competitors, as well as the Jeep Compass and Cherokee.
Mazda CX-5 Features
Mazda is a brand in transition, which explains the diversity found within the 2022 CX-5 lineup. You can get a basic but stylish CX-5, you can get a luxurious and speedy CX-5, and you can get just about everything in between. As such, it competes against a wide range of mainstream, premium, and entry-luxury models.
- Advanced Smart City Brake Support — Standard low-speed automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Smart Brake Support — Standard highway-speed automatic emergency braking system
- Blind Spot Monitoring — Standard feature warns the driver when other vehicles are in the CX-5’s blind spots
- Lane Keep Assist — Standard feature warns the driver when the CX-5 is about to depart its lane and can gently steer the SUV back toward the center of the lane
- Traffic Jam Assist — Available feature combines adaptive cruise control and lane-centering assistance for semi-autonomous driving support at lower speeds*
- Mazda Connect — Standard infotainment system with 10.25 inch display and center console controls
- Mazda Connected Services — Standard connected services with complimentary access for three years (Wi-Fi has a three month plan)
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard feature with support for iOS and Android devices
- Head-up display — Available feature*
- Surround-view camera — Available feature*
- 2.5L four-cylinder engine, 187 hp
- 2.5L turbocharged four-cylinder engine, 256 hp (premium gas) and 227 hp (regular gas)
- Six-speed automatic transmission
- Standard all-wheel drive
- 24 mpg in combined driving (2.5 Turbo); 26 mpg in combined driving (2.5 Turbo)
- Leather seats — Available feature*
- Heated and ventilated front seats — Available feature*
- Heated rear seats — Available feature*
- Heated steering wheel — Available feature*
- Premium sound system — Available feature with ten speakers*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections