Before there was a Toyota RAV4, the Kia Sportage arrived in America. Now, almost 30 years later, the 2022 Kia Sportage is a worthy choice in the compact crossover SUV segment. You’ll choose between a 181-hp four-cylinder and a turbocharged 240-hp four-cylinder engine, each powering the front wheels. All-wheel drive is optional. A redesigned Sportage arrives for the 2023 model year.
2022 Kia Sportage Review: Configurations
Kia offers the 2022 Sportage in four trim levels:
- Sportage LX — Though LX trim identifies the base version of the Sportage, it is anything but basic. It includes aluminum wheels, dark-tinted rear privacy glass, remote keyless entry, air conditioning, cloth seats with height adjustment for the driver, an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system with smartphone mirroring, and several driving assistance and collision avoidance technologies
- Sportage Nightfall Edition — The Nightfall Edition adds a trendy blacked-out look with larger black-painted wheels, plus a panoramic glass sunroof, Kia’s SynTex simulated leather upholstery, a 10-way power driver’s seat, blind-spot warning, and rear cross-traffic warning
- Sportage EX — Choose EX trim and the Sportage swaps the black exterior bits for a mix of chrome trim and machined-finish wheels. The EX also includes hands-free keyless entry with push-button engine start, dual-zone automatic climate control, heated front seats, and a hands-free power liftgate
- Sportage SX Turbo — This version of the Sportage includes a turbocharged engine, 19-inch wheels, upgraded instrumentation, a heated steering wheel, and leather seats with front heating and ventilation and 8-way power adjustment for the front passenger. The infotainment system adds UVO Link connected services, a navigation system, satellite radio, wireless smartphone charging, and a premium sound system. Adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go capability and front and rear parking sensors are also standard on the SX Turbo
What’s New for the 2022 Kia Sportage?
In its final year before a complete redesign, the 2022 Sportage LX is available with a Value Edition option package with a larger 18-inch wheel design, hands-free keyless entry with push-button engine starting, and heated front seats. Kia cancels the S trim level, replacing it with the Nightfall Edition. A panoramic glass sunroof is newly standard for both the Nightfall Edition and the Sportage EX.
Kia Sportage Competitors for 2022
The 2022 Sportage resides on the smaller end of the compact SUV spectrum, but it has a roomy interior for up to five people. Cargo space, however, is not as generous as what you might find in rivals such as the Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson, Subaru Forester, and Toyota RAV4.
2022 Kia Sportage Review: Features
Priced from the mid-$20,000 to the high $30,000 range, there is a 2022 Kia Sportage to suit any small SUV buyer’s budget. Better yet, if you choose the top SX Turbo trim, the Sportage offers impressive performance to go along with features that are more commonly found in luxury vehicles.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist — Standard feature warns the driver a collision could occur and automatically brakes if the driver does not respond. Includes pedestrian detection capability
- Lane Departure Warning — Standard feature warns the driver if the Sportage is unintentionally leaving the intended lane of travel
- Lane Keeping Assist — If the Sportage crosses a lane marker and the driver has not signaled a lane change, this standard feature can help to nudge the Sportage back into the intended lane of travel
- Blind-Spot Collision Warning — Available feature* warns the driver if another vehicle is in the Sportage’s blind spot when they signal a lane change
- Rear Cross-Traffic Collision Warning — Available feature* warns the driver if another vehicle is approaching from the side when the Sportage is reversing
- Infotainment system — Standard feature including an 8-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard feature with support for iOS and Android devices
- Connected services — Available feature* including a remote-access smartphone app
- Wireless smartphone charging — Available feature*
- Smart Power Liftgate — Available feature automatically opens within a few seconds if you stand near the back of the Sportage with the remote keyless entry fob on your person
- 2.4L four-cylinder, 181 hp
- 2.0L turbocharged four-cylinder, 240 hp
- 6-speed automatic
- Front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive
- 21 mpg to 26 mpg in combined driving
- Leather seats — Available feature*
- Heated steering wheel — Available feature*
- Heated and ventilated front seats — Available feature*
- Panoramic glass sunroof — Available feature*
- Premium sound system — Available feature*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections