Celebrating the Engineering Might of our Women in Tech
10 articles by Capital One’s Women in Tech that you should read now!
At Capital One, we’re commemorating this Women’s History Month by showcasing some of the best writing from our women engineers and people leaders. From the cloud to machine learning to software engineering we prefer to let their words, and expertise, speak for themselves. So enjoy these interviews, tutorials, case studies, and best practices guides from Capital One’s women in tech!
- How Capital One Is Using Tech to Make Work (and Life) Easier - VP of HR Tech Maureen Jules-Perez discusses how her team uses tech to improve the customer and associate experience - and the diversity, inclusion, and belonging principles that guide their work.
- How to Avoid Coupling in Microservices Design - Senior Software Engineer Mariam Rajabi shares tactics on avoiding distributed monoliths in your microservices architecture.
- A Manifesto for Effective Enterprise Architecture - Sr. Distinguished Engineer Tanu McCabe writes a WOmanifesto on the principles needed to guide successful architects and architecture.
- Starting Out with AWS & DevOps - 10 Tips From an Expert - Lambdas and CloudFormation and CloudWatch, oh my! Principal Software Engineer Maddy Pet shares her DevOps expertise by demystifying these AWS services for those new to the practice.
- 4 Best Practices for Repeatable Software Delivery - VP of Software Engineering Allison Perkel discusses the hot topic of managing software quality. If there are no silver bullets, how can we approach building quality stacks or frameworks so developers will trust them, use them, and contribute to their growth?
- Women in Tech: An Inclusive Community for Women Technologists - Support, community and career development are all things that help tech professionals thrive. For Capital One technologists, the Women in Tech Business Resource Group helps create a space for women to grow their knowledge and forge connections across tech teams.
- Fighting Fraud with Virtual Card Numbers - A Merchant Embedding Use Case - Did you miss this talk at Grace Hopper 2020? Don’t worry, Data Science Manager Victoria Martins has you covered. Read how her team discovered a way to use merchant embeddings to overcome entity resolution challenges with virtual card numbers. It’s all in a day’s work when you’re as focused on making online shopping easier and safer for your customers!
- Developing Maintainable Software: A Checklist for Developers - Banish spaghetti code! Sr. Manager of Software Engineering Santhi Sridharan shares seven suggestions for setting up maintainability from Day 1 of your application development. 🙅 🍝
- Opportunity to Innovation: How to Create an Exceptional Machine Learning Team - Have you ever seen a new tech opportunity and dreamt about how to make it happen? Ming Waters, a Sr. Director of Data Engineering, shares how she took her idea to create a Machine Learning team and made it a reality, all with Capital One’s support.
- Change, Setbacks and Success: Important Leadership Lessons To Embrace - Even the greatest of leaders face uncertainty and apprehension at some point in their career, but learning how to weather those storms makes them that much stronger. We interviewed four women people leaders about their personal journeys, the setbacks they’ve experienced, and how they handle change.