Toyota last redesigned the 4Runner more than 10 years ago, but this traditional body-on-frame midsize SUV still delivers what buyers want. Namely, a roomy interior for people and cargo, capable off-roading ability, and styling that reflects an active, adventurous lifestyle.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Configurations
Eight versions of the 2022 4Runner are for sale:
- SR5 — Equipped to meet your needs, the 4Runner SR5 is simplicity on wheels. It includes the infotainment and safety features expected in a modern SUV
- SR5 Premium — Add the Premium package to the SR5, and the 4Runner has simulated leather upholstery, heated front seats, heated side mirrors, a navigation system, and warnings for blind-spots and rear cross-traffic
- Trail Special Edition — The rugged Trail Special Edition builds on the SR5 specification with black badges, gray wheels, a basket-style roof rack, sliding rear cargo deck, rubber floor liners, and more
- TRD Sport — New for 2022, the TRD Sport includes simulated leather and heated front seats plus larger 20-inch wheels and a sport-tuned suspension for improved on-road driving dynamics
- Limited — This is the luxurious version of the 4Runner, featuring TRD Sport equipment plus real leather, dual-zone automatic climate control, navigation, blind spot and rear cross-traffic warnings, a 15-speaker premium sound system, power sunroof, parking sensors, surround-view camera, and plenty of chrome trim
- TRD Off-Road — It builds on the SR5 trim with unique wheels, a hood scoop, unique detailing inside and out, standard four-wheel drive with a locking rear differential, and a slew of off-roading equipment
- TRD Off-Road Premium — Similar to the standard SR5, the TRD Off-Road Premium package installs simulated leather, heated front seats, heated side mirrors, and a navigation system
- TRD Pro — If you’re serious about off-roading, you may want the TRD Pro for its all-terrain tires, off-road suspension, skid plates, and camera-based Multi-Terrain Monitor. It also has a power sunroof, dual-zone automatic climate control, and a 15-speaker premium sound system
What’s New for the 2022 Toyota 4Runner?
Although it might not look like it, Toyota makes several changes to the 2022 4Runner. In addition to the new TRD Sport trim, all 4Runners get full LED headlights and a rear-seat reminder system. Also, most 4Runners* now come with blind-spot and rear cross-traffic warning.
Toyota 4Runner Competitors for 2022
The Toyota 4Runner faces few rivals. Within its price range, the only other midsize SUVs that can tackle terrain in a similar manner include the Ford Bronco and the Jeep Wrangler. Higher-priced alternatives include the Land Rover Defender and the Lexus GX, the latter of which is based on the same platform as the 4Runner.
Toyota 4Runner Features
For lives filled with adventure, the Toyota 4Runner stands ready to serve. It looks like a traditional SUV, drives like one, and may require frequent refueling too. But the 4Runner’s aging design doesn’t match more modern SUVs when it comes to crash protection. Nonetheless, when your life aligns with the 4Runner’s intended purpose, few alternatives will do.
- Pre-Collision System — Standard forward collision warning system with automatic emergency braking
- Lane Departure Alert — Standard feature warns the driver when the 4Runner leaves its lane without use of the turn signal
- Rear Occupancy Alert — Standard feature reminds the driver to check the back seat before leaving and locking the SUV
- Blind-spot Monitor — Available feature* warns a driver when other vehicles are in the 4Runner’s blind spots
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert — Available feature* warns a driver when other vehicles are approaching from the sides while in reverse
- Infotainment system — Standard 8-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard feature for iOS and Android devices
- Connected services — Standard feature with safety services and a Wi-Fi hotspot
- Crawl Control — Available off-road cruise control system* that works at low speeds
- Multi-Terrain Monitor — Available camera system* on TRD Pro helps driver to see obstacles when off-roading
- 4.0L V6 engine
- 270 hp
- 5-speed automatic transmission
- Rear-wheel or four-wheel drive
- 17 mpg in combined driving for all versions
- Power back window — Standard feature that powers the back window down into the tailgate
- SofTex seats — Available simulated leather* in many versions of the 4Runner
- Premium sound system — Available 15-speaker sound system*
- Third-row seat — Available feature* increases passenger capacity to seven
- Sliding Rear Cargo Deck — Platform that slides out of the cargo area to make it easier to load and unload heavy items
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections