Legendary for its capability and durability, the Toyota Tacoma is America’s most popular midsize pickup truck. With extended-cab and crew-cab styles, standard and short cargo beds, four-cylinder and V6 engines, manual and automatic transmissions, and rear-wheel or four-wheel drive, there is a 2022 Toyota Tacoma to suit almost every want and need. However, the Tacoma is aging fast and struggles to compete on several fronts.
2022 Toyota Tacoma Review Configurations
Toyota Tacomas come in six different trim levels:
- Tacoma SR — This might be the base Tacoma, but it’s not basic. You get air conditioning, cloth seats, an automatic transmission, a decent infotainment system, and plenty of safety technology in the most affordable version of the truck
- Tacoma SR5 — A popular choice for value shoppers, the Tacoma SR5 offers several upgrades such as chrome exterior trim, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and a larger infotainment screen while providing access to more options
- Tacoma TRD Sport — A V6 engine is standard in the TRD Sport, which Toyota tunes for improved handling on pavement. It has a unique grille, aluminum wheels, and a hood scoop, while the interior boasts dual-zone automatic climate control, a 10-way power driver’s seat, wireless smartphone charging, and more
- Tacoma TRD Off-Road — The TRD Off-Road is outfitted like the TRD Sport but emphasizes off-road performance. Highlights include an electronically controlled locking rear differential, off-road shocks, off-roading cameras to aid visibility, and a low-speed off-road cruise control system
- Tacoma Limited — Limited trim is as close as a Tacoma gets to luxury. Chrome detailing, LED headlights, and 18-inch wheels create an upscale appearance, while the cabin gets leather seats, heated front seats, a power sunroof, a navigation system, and a premium sound system. Limiteds also have a blind-spot warning with rear cross-traffic alert as well as rear parking sensors
- Tacoma TRD Pro — For maximum off-roading capability, you want the TRD Pro. Specific suspension tuning, a TRD front skid plate, all-terrain tires, and a performance exhaust system make this version of the Tacoma special, along with unique styling details inside and out
What’s New for the 2022 Toyota Tacoma?
Toyota takes the top-of-the-line 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro to the next level with more suspension lift and forged aluminum front suspension components. To celebrate, this model gets new wheels, revised styling details, and an Electric Lime color choice. These improvements to the TRD Pro make way for an upgraded SR5 Trail Edition, which adopts the old TRD Pro model’s suspension lift, underbody skid plates, wheels, all-terrain tires, and heritage-design grille this year.
Toyota Tacoma Competitors for 2022
Toyota battles six other models for supremacy in the midsize pickup truck segment. Some can tow more weight, like the Ford Ranger. Some can carry more payload, like the Honda Ridgeline. Some offer diesel engines, like the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Some have a convertible top and removable doors, like the Jeep Gladiator. And the redesigned 2022 Nissan Frontier supplies more outright power. But none of these rivals can top the Toyota Tacoma on the sales charts.
2022 Toyota Tacoma Review Features
Thanks to its rugged image, all-business interior, reputation for durability, and emphasis on off-road performance, the 2022 Toyota Tacoma is a popular choice in the midsize truck segment. However, refinement is not among its strengths.
- Pre-Collision System — Standard forward collision warning with automatic braking
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist — Standard lane-departure and lane-keeping assistance
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control — Standard adaptive cruise control
- Automatic High Beams — Standard
- Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Cross-Traffic Alert — Available*
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard support for iOS and Android devices
- Toyota Connected Services — Standard including safety and Wi-Fi plans
- Panoramic View Monitor — Available surround-view camera*
- Multi-Terrain Monitor — Available ground-view cameras (shown here)*
- Crawl Control — Available low-speed, off-road cruise control system*
- 2.7L four-cylinder making 151 hp
- 3.5L V6 making 278 hp
- 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic
- Rear-wheel or four-wheel drive
- 18 mpg to 21 mpg in combined driving
- Standard cloth or available leather upholstery
- 10-way power-adjustable driver’s seat — Available*
- Dual-zone automatic climate control — Available*
- Premium sound system — Available*
- Power sunroof — Available*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections