Among its direct competitors, the 2022 Dodge Challenger holds more people, carries more luggage, and supplies more power. If you live where it snows, you can even get one with all-wheel drive. The most affordable versions offer a V6 engine, but a range of V8 engines is available, supplying as much as 807 hp.
2022 Dodge Challenger Review Configurations
Seven versions of the Challenger are on sale for 2022:
- Challenger SXT — Equipped with a V6 engine, the SXT is the least potent and expensive version of the Challenger but is also likely the most affordable to insure. All-wheel drive is available, and you can dress the SXT up with 20-inch wheels, premium leather upholstery, and modern infotainment and safety systems
- Challenger GT — Equipped with a hood scoop, big wheels, performance-tuned steering and suspension systems, and sport-bolstered front seats with Houndstooth-pattern cloth, the Challenger GT combines a more aggressive look with V6 power and a choice between rear-wheel and all-wheel drive
- Challenger R/T — To create the Challenger R/T, Dodge takes the GT and adds a 5.7L V8 engine, a manual transmission, and an active exhaust system to infuse the car with additional attitude. All Challengers with a V8 engine come only with rear-wheel drive
- Challenger R/T Scat Pack — Even more power comes standard in the R/T Scat Pack, courtesy of a 6.4L V8 engine. This model also gets Line Lock tire warming and launch control technology, performance braking components, and more. If you want a Challenger with the Widebody treatment, it’s available for the R/T Scat Pack
- Challenger SRT Hellcat — A legend in its own time, the Hellcat boasts a supercharged V8 good for 717 hop, a dual-snorkel hood design with a cold air intake, improved engine cooling, and an adaptive damping suspension. It comes in both the standard and Widebody styles
- Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye — A high-output version of the Hellcat’s V8 makes 797 hp in the Hellcat Redeye, resulting in acceleration to 60 mph in a claimed 3.4 seconds and a 203-mph top speed. Further engine cooling upgrades are also standard, and the Redeye comes in standard and Widebody flavors
- Challenger SRT Super Stock — Equipped with drag-racing tires mounted to 18-inch wheels, the 807-hp SRT Super Stock comes only in a Widebody design. Dodge says it can roar to 60 mph in 3.25 seconds and run the quarter-mile in 10.5 seconds at 131 mph
What’s New for the 2022 Dodge Challenger?
Depending on the trim level, Dodge offers a new security alarm system as standard or optional equipment. Additionally, new Hemi Orange and SRT Black packages debut. Dodge may add new colors or special editions during the year, as it has in the past.
Dodge Challenger Competitors for 2022
It is sometimes said that the more things change, the more they stay the same. For example, in the early 1970s, the Dodge Challenger counted the Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang as its primary competitors. That’s also true today. Among this trio, the Challenger is the roomiest for passengers, has the biggest trunk, offers exclusive all-wheel drive, and supplies the most power.
2022 Dodge Challenger Review Features
Even though Dodge makes it in Canada, few cars represent classic American muscle like the Challenger. Available with rear-wheel or all-wheel drive and with a range of V6 and V8 engines developing as much as 807 hp, the 2022 Challenger is among the last of its breed as the automotive industry continues a rapid transition to electric vehicles.
- Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning — Available feature warns the driver if a collision could occur*
- Active Braking — Available automatic emergency braking system*
- Blind Spot Monitoring — Available feature warns the driver when other vehicles are in the Challenger’s blind spots*
- Rear Cross Path Detection — Available feature warns the driver when other vehicles are approaching from the sides while the car is reversing*
- Adaptive cruise control — Available feature maintains a safe following distance to vehicles ahead*
- Infotainment system — Standard 7-inch and available 8.4-inch touchscreen display
- Smartphone mirroring — Standard support for iOS and Android devices
- Navigation system — Available feature*
- Wi-Fi access — Available feature*
- SiriusXM Guardian — Available connected services*
- 3.6L V6, 303 hp, automatic transmission, rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive
- 5.7L V8, 372-375 hp, manual or automatic transmission, RWD
- 6.4L V8, 485 hp, manual or automatic, RWD
- 6.2L supercharged V8, 717 hp, manual or automatic, RWD
- 6.2L high-output supercharged V8, 797-807 hp, automatic, RWD
- Dual-zone automatic climate control — Standard feature
- Leather seats — Available feature*
- Heated and ventilated front seats — Available feature*
- Heated steering wheel — Available feature*
- High-end audio system — Available feature with 19 speakers*
*Availability is subject to specific trim level selections