- Capital One Home >
Managing your credit card account online
- What kinds of accounts can I manage online?
Here is a list of the Capital One accounts that can be managed using Online Banking:
- All Capital One credit cards
- Small Business lines of credit
- Small Business Administration lines of credit
- Small Business credit cards
- Can I activate my credit card online?
Yes, you can activate your new credit card online. When you receive your card in the mail, visit www.capitalone.com/activate. If you haven’t already, you’ll need to create your online banking username and password. Then you’ll need to enter the 3-digit CVV code from the back of your card to complete activation.
Online credit card payments
- How do I make an online payment to my credit card bill or Small Business line of credit?
Paying online is easy. You can schedule up to three payments at a time up to 90 days in advance. First you’ll need to set up a bank account to pay from. Once you’ve set up a payment account, choose “Make a One-Time Payment” from the Payments menu and select three things:
- The credit card account you want to pay
- The amount
- The date you want to pay. You can schedule up to three payments at a time.
- How do I know if a payment has posted to my credit card account?
If you've signed up for online servicing, you can check to see if a recent payment has posted by checking the Transactions & Details page. If you're not yet enrolled to manage your account online, please go to the enrollment page for our online banking site and follow the instructions.
- How long does it take an online payment to post to my credit card account?
The table below indicates posting timeframes for payments made online.
posting timeframes for payments made online If you make your payment Your payment will post to your account on before 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday–Saturday the same day after 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday–Friday the next day after 5:00 p.m. ET, Saturday the following Monday; funds may be available Tuesday any time Sunday the following Monday; funds may be available Tuesday Online payments are not processed Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or New Year's Day. The availability of funds may be delayed at Capital One's sole discretion to ensure payment funds are available.
- Can I still mail my credit card payment to Capital One even if I'm enrolled in Online Banking?
Yes, you can still mail your payment with the payment coupon and envelope that are enclosed in your printed statement. Remember to write your account number on the check or money order and make it payable to Capital One. Payments without a payment coupon may not be credited to your account the same day received.
You can also make a payment over the phone by calling 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825) (Small Business Card customers call 1-800-867-0904).
- How often can I pay my credit card bill using online bill payment?
You may have three pending (not yet processed) payments per credit card account at any given time. The payment date you select must be within 90 days of today's date.
- Can I add multiple payment accounts to pay my credit card bill online?
Yes. Our system allows you to store information for multiple payment accounts.
- How do I remove a payment account?
Once you're logged in, choose “Manage Payment Accounts” from the payments menu, then click the Delete link next to the account you wish to remove.
- Can I set up automatic or recurring payments for my credit card?
Yes. Once you're signed up for online servicing, you’ll need to set up a payment account to make the payments from. Then you can set up AutoPay (automatic monthly payments), and your payment will be made on your due date each month.
- Can I schedule an online credit card payment to post to my account for a future date?
Yes. Once you're signed up… log in, choose “Make a Payment” from the Payments menu. On this screen, you can enter the date that you want to make your payment. You may schedule up to three future payments up to 90 days in advance. If you're not yet signed up to manage your account online, please go to the enrollment page for our online banking site and follow the instructions.
- Can I change or delete an online credit card payment if I made a mistake?
- If you scheduled your payment in advance of the due date, you have up to the day before the payment is made to modify it.
- If I delete a payment account, will all pending payments made from that account also be deleted?
Yes. When you delete a payment account, we will also delete all pending payments scheduled using that account.
- What if I need to make a credit card payment and the system is down or unavailable?
If you need to make a payment during a time when the Online Banking site is down, and you do not want to wait for the system to become available, please call 1-800-955-7070 to make a payment over the phone (Small Business Card customers call 1-800-867-0904).
Credit Card Rewards
- Can I find information about my credit card rewards online or get help if I have questions?
If you're enrolled to manage your account online, you will see a summary of your rewards information on your online statement as well as on the Rewards Summary located in the navigation bar at the top of your screen.
If you're not yet enrolled to manage your account online, please go to the enrollment page for Capital One's Online Banking site and follow the instructions.
You can make redemptions and find all of your reward information online at the Capital One No Hassle RewardsSM Web site.
You can also call our Rewards Center toll-free at 1-800-228-3001, Monday–Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m., and Saturday–Sunday from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET.
- How can I add rewards to my credit card?
You may be able to add rewards to your existing account using the Modify Your Features service.
Credit Card Statements
- How do I see my most recent credit card transactions that were not on my last statement?
If you've signed up for online servicing, log in and choose the Transactions & Details page from the Accounts menu. This displays all activity that has posted to your account since your most recent online statement.
If you're not yet signed up to manage your account online, please go to the enrollment page for online servicing and follow the instructions.
- How often is the Transactions & Details page updated?
The Transactions & Details page will show transactions on your account as soon as we receive them from the merchant. Please keep in mind that when you use your credit card to make a purchase, it may take a few business days for the merchant charge to reach us.
- How do I stop receiving paper statements for my credit card bill?
You can adjust your statement delivery settings through Online Banking. Simply sign in to your account, and click the My Info tab. Then click the (+) next to Update my paperless settings to expand that section.
To stop paper delivery of documents and/or statements, select the Online Only check-box associated with the account you wish to modify and hit update.
Once you choose to stop receiving paper statements, you'll receive a monthly e-mail letting you know that your latest statement is available online.
If you’re not yet enrolled to manage your account online, enroll now at capitalone.com
- How do I go back to receiving paper statements for my credit card bill?
You can adjust your statement delivery settings through Online Banking. Simply sign in to your account, and click on the My Info tab. From there, click the (+) sign next to the Update my paperless settings section. Once there, de-select the Online Only check-box associated with the account you wish to modify and hit update.
If you un-enroll from your paperless setting within 48 hours of your statement cycle date, then your next statement will be electronic and all statements following will be paper. Otherwise, you will receive a paper statement for the current cycle. Or you can send us a secure message by clicking on Messages and Alerts and choosing Compose a Message.
If you're not yet enrolled to manage your account online, enroll now at capitalone.com.
You may also call us at 1-866-750-0873 and one of our representatives will be able to assist you. If you call, make sure to have your account number ready.
- How soon after I enroll in Online Banking can I begin viewing my credit card statements?
- You will be able to see your last two statements within approximately 24 hours of enrolling in Online Banking. We add a new statement each month from the date that you enroll.
- Can I download all the credit card statements that appear online?
Yes, you can download any of the statements that appear online to the following software applications: Quicken (QFX and QIF formats), QuickBooks and most spreadsheet programs.
- When will my credit card statement be available online?
Your statement will usually become available online within four days after your cycle end date, except in these situations:
- You did not have any transactions on your account and so no statement was generated.
- Your only transaction was a payment and no interest charges were accrued.
- You recently registered your credit card account (it may take up to four business days for it to display).
- Will I still receive a printed credit card statement after I enroll in Online Banking?
Yes. You will continue to receive your printed statement upon enrolling in Online Banking.
If you want to receive your statements online only and stop receiving them by U.S. mail, you can do so through Online Banking. Sign in to your account, and click the My Info tab. Then click the (+) next to Update my paperless settings to expand that section.
To stop paper delivery of documents and/or statements, select the Online Only check-box associated with the account you wish to modify.
When you choose to stop receiving paper statements, you'll receive a monthly e-mail letting you know that your latest statement is available online.
- What if I don't recognize a charge or want to dispute a transaction on my consumer credit card statement?
You can contact us to dispute a charge in any one of the following ways:
- Sign in to your online account and go to the Transactions & Details page. If you have more than one account, you'll first need to select the correct account from the drop-down menu. Next, click on the Posted Transaction in question (Pending Transactions can not be disputed), then click the “File a Dispute” link and provide the requested information.
- Write about your dispute to Capital One, P.O. Box 30279, Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0285.
- Fax a description of your dispute to 1-888-435-4217.
- Call us anytime at 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825).
Please see the back of your statement for additional information.
- Why did you charge me an over limit or past due fee on my credit card account?
Your credit limit is the dollar amount you are authorized to spend on your card. If you have agreed to the option which allows us to charge you an Over limit Fee when you exceed your credit limit, and if you exceed this limit, you will be charged an Over limit Fee. Customers with Small Business cards automatically have this option on their account. Please be aware of transactions that could cause you to exceed your credit limit, such as pre-authorized charges at hotels or for rental cars, gasoline charges made at the pump, or reoccurring transactions that are charged to your account each month.
When we do not receive your minimum payment (past due) by the due date indicated on your statement or based on the terms of your account, you will be charged a past due Fee.
- Can I view my online credit card statement in Spanish or a language other than English?
- No. Currently online statements are only available in English. Even if you currently receive printed statements in another language, the online statements will still be in English.
- Where can I find my APR information online?
- Once you have signed into Online Banking, you will find all of the APR information in the Interest Charge Calculation section of the Statement page.
- Do you offer a Year-End Summary for my credit card?
- Yes for qualified customers. It is an organized, itemized summary of all your transactions for last year, and it may help you significantly reduce the time you spend on tax preparation. It can also be a useful tool for managing your business finances or planning a budget.
- What is included in a Year-End Summary?
Your Year-End Summary is a list of all your Capital One card purchases, cash advances, fees, and check transactions from last year. The transactions are separated into descriptive categories, so reviewing your spending is quick and easy.
- How do I get a Year-End Summary for my credit card?
Simply sign up to manage your account online.
- I have more than one Capital One credit card account. How can I access all of my credit card accounts with the same sign in information (user name and password)?
As long as you are the primary user on the credit card, you can link all of your card accounts to one user name and password. Linking your accounts means that they are grouped together under one sign in. It doesn't consolidate their balances or change them in any way.
To link all of your credit card accounts to one user name and password, sign in and click the Services tab. Once there, click the “Link Your Accounts” link in the Online Servicing column and follow the instructions on the page.
- How do I change my address online?
Your mailing address can easily be changed online. Just sign in to Online Banking, and click the My Info tab. From there, click the (+) sign to expand the Update my contact information section. From this section, you can edit: primary email, phone numbers, and mailing address.
If you have more than one account, you will be able to apply this change for all.
- How do I change my password for Online Banking?
Your password can easily be changed online. Once you are signed into Online Banking, click the My Info tab. From there, click the (+) sign to expand the Update my Sign in information section and click Edit beside the Password section to update.
- How do I change my user name for Online Banking?
Your user name can easily be changed online. Once you are signed into Online Banking, click the My Info tab. From there, click the (+) sign to expand the Update my Sign in information section and click Edit beside the User Name section to update.
- How do I cancel my enrollment in Online Banking?
- Give us a call at 1-866-750-0873 and a Customer Service Representative will be able to help you with your request.
- How do I close my credit card account? Can I close my credit card account online?
To close your account, you must give us a call at 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825) and speak to a representative. Once you've requested that your account be closed, you should:
- Stop using your card.
- Stop any monthly automatic payments or pre-authorized charges you may have set up on your account.
- Pay the entire remaining account balance in full within 90 days after making your request to close your account.
- What should I do if my Capital One credit card is lost or stolen?
Call Customer Relations at 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825) immediately.
- What if I forgot my personal identification number (PIN)? Can I get a new PIN online?
- You will not be able to retrieve your old PIN, but if you call the automated response line at 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825) and follow the prompts, you will be able to create a new one over the phone.
- How long after submitting an address change for my credit card account will my request take effect?
- Your contact information is updated immediately.
- How do I change my address on my credit card account if I am moving to a foreign country?
To designate a foreign or temporary address on your credit card account, please call Customer Relations at 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- My name has changed. Can I change my name on my credit card account online?
No, you must call Customer Relations at 1-800-CAPITAL (1-800-227-4825). We're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Can I send you an e-mail with a question about my account?
To protect your personal account information, we advise that you not send us an unsecure e-mail regarding your account. Instead, we encourage you to use our secure messaging feature, which you can access once you have signed in to Online Banking. Just click Messages in the top navigation, and then click the Compose a Message button. We will respond to your message within three business days.
- When should I use the Secure Message function and why?
- Use the Secure Message function when you have account-specific questions. It is a safe method of sending and receiving messages because you can only access it once you have signed in with your user name and password. Then click Messages in the top navigation and click the Compose a Message button. You'll get a response from us within one business day.
- What is multi-factor authentication (MFA) and how does it work?
Multifactor authentication is an extra level of authentication for verifying a customer's identity and preventing unauthorized users from accessing financial information.
At enrollment you will set up a series of five security questions. These questions do expire, so from time to time, you may be asked to update your questions upon signing into your account. In this instance, you will be presented with a selection of five sets of questions. You’ll be asked to choose the five that are the most meaningful to you and to type in your answers.
You may be asked to answer security questions if our systems require verification that it is you attempting to access your account. These questions are also used to gain access to your account in the event that you have forgotten your username and password. This is an added layer of security to ensure that the right person is signing into your online account.
If you wish to change your security questions, you can do so online. Just sign in to Online Banking, then click the My Info tab. Click the (+) sign next to Update my sign in information and select the Edit button next to the Security Questions section to update.
- What steps does Capital One take to ensure this account management service for my credit cart account is secure?
Please visit Security Works at Capital One for all the details. You will find a complete description of Capital One's security commitment and systems.
- I receive an error message while attempting to sign in with Firefox.
Over-Limit Preference Questions
- Can I make charges over my credit limit?
We can't guarantee customers approval of charges over their credit limit, but sometimes we do allow customers to exceed their credit limit.
- If I can go over my credit limit, how far over my credit limit can I go?
There’s no fixed amount that you can go over your limit. There are a lot of factors we consider when it comes to going over a credit limit. Also, keep in mind that your transactions are approved individually, and that we can’t guarantee that you will always be approved to exceed your credit limit.
- Can I opt-in to going over my credit limit?
Sorry, but we are no longer offering enrollment into Over the Credit Limit Coverage.
- I was able to opt-in to going over my credit limit on my other account, so why don’t I have that option on my new account?
Sorry, but we are no longer offering enrollment into Over the Credit Limit Coverage.
- I currently have Over the Credit Limit Coverage on my other account. Will that be canceled?
Our decision to no longer offer enrollment into Over the Credit Limit Coverage does not affect the coverage you have on your other account(s). If a decision is made that impacts your current account, you will be notified.
- Doesn't Over the Credit Limit Coverage guarantee that all my purchases will be allowed to go over the credit limit?
If you have Over the Credit Limit Coverage, there is no guarantee that transactions that exceed your credit limit will be approved, as there are many account factors that impact the decision. If a transaction that takes you over your credit limit is declined, you will not be charged an over-limit fee for that transaction.
- I have Over the Credit Limit Coverage, so why was my transaction declined?
Even with Over the Credit Limit Coverage, there is no guarantee that transactions will be approved. In some cases we may decline a transaction that would cause you to go over your credit limit, such as if you are past due, already over your credit limit, have recently opened your account, or for other factors. Please keep in mind, if a transaction that takes you over your credit limit is declined, you will not be charged an over-limit fee for that transaction.
- How can I cancel Over the Credit Limit Coverage?
You can call to cancel Over the Credit Limit Coverage whenever you wish or you can also cancel on our website. Our phone number and website address are listed on the back of your card.
- If I cancel Over the Credit Limit Coverage now, can I enroll again later?
Unfortunately, if you cancel Over the Credit Limit Coverage you will not be able to restore the option to go over limit as we are no longer accepting new enrollments. We do offer the ability for you to monitor your balance and available credit through customizable alerts. You may set up customizable alerts by signing-in to your account online and clicking on the Messages and Alerts tab.
- If I cancel Over the Credit Limit Coverage, does that mean that you will decline purchases that exceed my credit limit?
If you cancel this coverage, you may not be allowed to make charges over your credit limit, which means your card could be declined. You may also be charged an over-limit fee if you are currently over limit or go over limit before your request to cancel has been processed.
- If I cancel Over the Credit Limit Coverage, does that mean that you will decline purchases that exceed my credit limit?
- In addition to the over-limit fee, does going over my limit affect my credit report?
We report credit limits and high balances to the credit bureaus so going over your limit may affect your credit report.
- How can I avoid over-limit fees?
You can avoid over-limit fees by either opting-out of Over the Credit Limit Coverage or by monitoring your balance and available credit through customizable alerts to ensure that you do not exceed your credit limit. You may set up customizable alerts by signing-in to your account online and clicking on the Messages and Alerts tab.
- How can I avoid over-limit fees?
- How do I cancel Payment Protection?
You can cancel Payment Protection by calling Payment Protection at 1-888-527-6904, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. ET and Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. ET.
- How does Payment Protection work and what are the benefits?
Payment Protection will make benefit payments to a customer's Capital One credit card account in the event of an eligible loss. Payment Protection is not a credit card insurance product. Benefit payments may include minimum monthly payments for up to 12 months or your balance up to $10,000, depending on the type of qualifying loss. Certain eligibility requirements, conditions and exclusions apply. Payment Protection charges a monthly fee based on the amount of your statement ending balance. For more information call 1-888-527-6904, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. ET and Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. ET.
- How do I contact Payment Protection customer service?
You can call Payment Protection at 1-888-527-6904, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. ET and Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. ET.
- How do I file a Payment Protection claim?
If you believe you have a loss covered by Payment Protection, you will need to contact Payment Protection to file a benefit request. You can call Payment Protection at 1-888-527-6904, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. ET and Saturday, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. ET.
Credit Inform & Credit Inform Premier
- What does a Fraud Specialist do?
Fraud Specialists are trained to help you recover quickly if fraud occurs on your credit or with your identity. They can help you close fraudulent accounts, and quickly get you replacement account numbers and cards, so you aren't left without access to your credit or your savings.
- What is Identity Theft Recovery (or Fraud) Insurance? And how is it different from $0 Fraud Liability?
Recovering from identity theft can be costly in both time and money. Fraud Insurance covers out-of-pocket costs associated with restoring your identity and credit – like lost wages from time off work and lawyer's fees. $0 Fraud Liability is protection from Capital One that reimburses you if your card is lost or stolen and used without your knowledge.
- How do I cancel?
You can cancel anytime. Just give us a call at 1-866-226-3745. If you cancel within the first 30 days, all fees you pay will be returned to you.
Online Documents Center
- What is the Online Documents Center?
Capital One created the Online Documents Center to share important communications we have for you about your credit card. It's easy to access and will make keeping track of important information much easier.
- How will I know I have a document waiting for me?
We will send you an e-mail to alert you to check the Online Documents Center. You just need to sign in to Online Banking and click the Documents tab where your new document will be waiting for you.
- How long will documents remain available to me?
- It will vary, but you will see a column called Available Until that will indicate how long the document will remain available online.
- What if I want to make or keep a copy of a document?
We provide options to save or print a PDF version of any document we make available to you. You can print the document as long as it is viewable.
- What kind of documents might I get online?
A wide variety of documents will come to you through the Online Documents Center--everything from notifications of changing credit card terms, important disclosures, updates to credit card regulations, and any information you may have requested from customer service.
- Will I also receive the same documents in the mail?
- Not always. It depends on the type of document and the laws and regulations governing that document. So it's important to visit the Online Documents Center whenever you receive notification of a new document. You can always print or download a copy for your records.
- What if I have questions about information that comes to me through the Online Documents Center?
- We will provide contact information with any document we send you.