- We use firewall systems and intrusion detection software to protect our systems.
- We protect the confidentiality of your data by encrypting sensitive information with 128-bit Secure Socket Layer (SSL). This helps ensure that sensitive information can only be viewed by you and Capital One.
- We build information security right into our systems and networks using internationally recognized security standards, regulations, and industry-based best practices.
- We employ strong authentication controls following guidance provided to us by the Federal Government's banking regulators.
- We require our employees to take information security awareness training and to apply this training to their job every day.
- Your sign in credentials are the keys you use to access your account information on our system. Do not write down or share your credentials with anyone.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Create distinct sign in credentials for financial accounts that are different from those used for other purposes such as social websites, online shopping, etc.
- Never share your user name, password, or security questions with anyone, and beware of suspicious e-mails or unsolicited phone calls asking for this information.
- Follow the password instructions that are presented when you create a new password. That way no one else will be able to guess your password.
- When you have been performing any transaction online, make sure that you use the Sign Out button when you are finished. Then close your browser completely. This ensures that no one who uses the computer after you can see your information.
- Install and regularly update anti-virus and anti-spyware software. Perform frequent scans of your computer. Protect your computer with a firewall.
- Protect yourself from malicious email and malware infections by learning how to spot these threats. Learn more about email fraud
Set up alerts to protect against unauthorized transactions
Free Capital One Alerts let you stay informed by e-mail or text message when activity occurs on your account. Plus, we will send security alerts automatically when important changes occur in Online Banking. Learn more about alerts
Review these resources for more information on protecting yourself from fraud.
Tell Me More
Report Fraud on Your Account
Contact us immediately if an unauthorized person has accessed your
Learn more about reporting fraud