No Hassle Cash Questions
- How do I get my cash back?
You can ask for your cash back anytime you want by going online or calling the Rewards Center toll free. You can even set a specific threshold for redemption in which you would automatically receive your cash back.
- Is there a limit to the amount of cash back I can earn?
- There's no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn on purchases.
- Will I have to shop at certain stores to earn my cash back?
No! Shop anywhere your credit card is accepted. Your Capital One rewards credit card never limits you to a "select" vendor, like some other cards do.
- How is my cash back reward calculated?
You earn rewards for every qualified purchase you make.
- Will the cash back I earn with this credit card ever expire?
Your rewards are yours for the life of the account—they will not expire. But if your account is closed, you will lose any rewards you have not redeemed.
- Can I redeem for something other than cash?
Yes. You can also redeem for gift cards or a charitable donation.
- Is it possible for me to lose my rewards?
As long as your account is open, you will not lose your rewards. However, your account must be in good standing in order to redeem your rewards.
- What are the eligibility requirements to redeem rewards?
Your account must be open and in good standing to be eligible to redeem for rewards.
- What does no limit on rewards mean?
It means that there's no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn, and those rewards don't expire for the life of the account.
- How long will it take to receive my reward?
Account credits will be applied within 5-7 business days of redemption. If a check or gift card is requested, it will be sent to the account holders' mailing address on file within 30 days of the redemption request.
General Credit Card Questions
Applying for a Credit Card
- What information does Capital One® require when I apply for a credit card?
You'll need to provide personal information, including your:
- Full name
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Physical address (No P.O. Box)
- Estimated gross annual income
- Why do you need my personal information for my credit card application?
We need your personal information for two reasons:
- Federal law requires us to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. As a result, your personal information is required and used for identification purposes.
- We use your personal information, like Social Security number, to pull your credit bureau data, which in turn is used with other information like annual income in processing your application.
- Can I use my private mailbox to apply (PO Box/CMRA - Commercial Mail Receiving Agency)?
Unfortunately, under federal law a physical address is required to process your application. You can always change your address to a private mailbox such as a PO Box or Commercial Mail Receiving Agency once your account is opened. We'll also keep your physical address on file.
- Will my application be declined if I don't use a physical address?
You can continue your application using a private mailbox like a P.O. Box or Commercial Mail Receiving Agency, but we'll have to contact you for a physical address before processing your application. This could mean waiting an additional 2 weeks to get your card.
However, once the account is opened, you can always change your mailing address to that of your choice. We'll also keep your physical address on file.
- Do I need to complete all the information on my credit card application?
We will try to process your application without all of the requested information, but you may experience delays or even be adversely affected by the omission of information.
- Can I apply for a credit card with a co-applicant?
- No, we do not offer the option for co-applicants at this time, but you may add an authorized user after your account is opened.
- Will I get an instant decision when I apply online for a credit card?
Capital One will attempt to provide a decision in 60 seconds or less. However, in some cases we need to collect additional information to make a decision.
- I received a session expired message. What does this mean?
This means there has been no activity in your application page for 20 minutes, and, for security reasons, your application session has been terminated. If you receive the session expired message, please start another application.
- Do you share the contact information on my credit card application with other companies?
Capital One takes our commitment to protecting your privacy seriously. Please see our Customer Privacy and Opt Out Notice for more information.
Note: This notice applies only to consumers and not business or commercial customers.
- How do I transfer a balance?
You can request a balance transfer after you've been approved and have received your card. You can then call our customer service department or sign in to your account.
- What types of balances can I transfer?
You can transfer balances from other credit cards, personal loans, student loans, and auto loans. You will not be able to transfer a balance from another account issued or acquired by Capital One or any of its affiliates or subsidiaries.
- What information will I need to transfer a balance?
You will need the name of the other creditor, account number, and amount you want to transfer.
- How long does it take for a transferred balance to post to the account I have with the other creditor?
If your balance transfer request is approved, payment will be sent to your creditors within 10 business days. Please allow 10 days for mailing time. Continue to make payments to creditors until you confirm that they have received the transferred payment.
- Will my transferred account close automatically?
Your other account will not close automatically, even if it is paid in full. You will need to call your other creditor to request that they close your account.
- How can I find out the status of my credit card application?
If you apply by phone or online, you will often get a response in 60 seconds. However, in some cases we need to collect additional information to make a decision.
You can check the status of your application anytime by calling 1-800-625-7866. We will notify you in writing of our decision within 7-10 days of your application.
- When will I receive my new credit card?
- If you're approved, you'll receive your Capital One card, credit limit information, and welcome materials by mail within 7-10 business days.
- What will my credit limit be?
Upon approval, we will further evaluate your application and determine what your credit limit is. We'll send written notification of your credit limit amount within 7-10 business days from the day you apply.
- How can I report a lost or stolen credit card?
Report a lost or stolen card by calling 1-800-955-7070.
- What will my rate be?
Please see the Rates & Disclosures page for term information. If the card you've applied for has a range of rates listed, you'll receive the lowest rate for which you qualify based on your creditworthiness.
- When will I find out my rate?
If you are approved, your rate will be provided to you in writing within 7-10 days.
- Can I add someone to my credit card account?
Yes. Simply call the number on the back of your card. Please note that to add an authorized user to your account, you must be the primary cardholder, secondary cardholder, authorized signatory/company officer, or additional business owner.
- Can I manage my credit card account online?
Yes. You will be able to enroll in our Online Banking service to do all of the following and more:
- Pay your credit card bill
- Stop paper clutter by enrolling in online statements
- Link multiple Capital One credit cards
- Redeem your rewards
- View recent transactions
- Check your balance
- Send a secure message
- Dispute a charge
- Will Capital One charge me a fee if I use my credit card overseas?
- Capital One does not charge a fee for using your credit card for foreign currency transactions. Foreign purchases will be converted at the foreign exchange rate in effect at the time of processing the charge.
- Who do I contact about traveling out of the country?
Before you travel, contact us at 1-800-955-7070. Please have the following information handy:
- Credit card number
- Travel destination
- Travel start and end dates
If you encounter any problems with your account while traveling within the United States, please call the phone number on the back of your card. If you encounter any problems with your account while traveling outside of the United States, please contact us at our international collect telephone number, 1-804-934-2001. Please note, be sure to follow the policies for outbound dialing in the country where you are traveling; you will need to place a collect call through an operator, and Capital One will accept the charges.
- How do you apply my payments?
We apply your minimum payment to lower rate balances before higher rate ones. We apply any portion of your payment in excess of your minimum payment to higher rate balances before lower rate ones. If your payment exceeds the minimum payment by an amount sufficient to pay a higher rate balance shown on your statement, you still may have a balance at that higher rate on your next statement as a result of transactions, interest, or fees charged to your account before your payment was credited. For example, if your monthly statement shows a $1,000 balance for cash advances, sending in a check for $1,000 plus your minimum payment amount may not bring your cash advance balance to $0. This is because interest continues to accrue on the $1,000 balance between the last day of the statement and the date we receive your payment, but the interest does not post to your account until the next statement.
Card at-a-glanceApply Now
|Rewards||1% cash back on all purchases
Plus, get a 25% bonus on the cash back you've earned every month you pay on time—for a total of 1.25% cash back
|Purchase APR||19.8% variable APR|
|Transfer Info||19.8% variable APR; No Transfer Fee|
|Additional||Rates & Disclosures|
Learn More About Building Credit
Get information about the Journey card and how students can build credit responsibly. Visit
Common Credit Card Terms
Credit limit - The maximum amount of available credit a cardholder may access. The Consumer Federation of America suggests people carry credit lines no greater than 20 percent of their gross income. For example, people with a gross income of $50,000 should not use credit lines of more than $10,000.
Annual Percentage Rate (APR) - The Annual Percentage Rate is a measure of the full cost of credit, expressed as a yearly rate. The APR takes into account the amount financed, the finance charge, and the amounts and timing of the payments. Under Federal Truth in Lending laws, all lenders are required to disclose the APRs associated with an offer. These disclosures are designed to help consumers understand what the cost of credit could be before they make any financial decisions.
Annual fee - A fee charged (on a yearly basis) for the customer's continued participation in an open-end credit plan.
Over-the-limit fee - A fee charged for exceeding the credit limit on the card if the customer chooses to accept this account option.
Late payment fee - A charge to a customer whose monthly payment has not been received as of the due date for payment as shown on the billing statement. Paying your credit card balance in full each month instead of carrying a balance is always a good idea.
Balance transfer - The process of moving an unpaid credit card debt from one issuer to another. Card issuers sometimes offer lower rates to encourage balance transfers.
Cash advance fee - A charge for using a credit card to obtain cash (generally at an ATM or bank window). This fee is usually either a percentage of the amount of the cash advance or a flat, per-transaction fee. Generally, cash advance fees do not have a grace period, which means that interest accrues from the moment the money is withdrawn.
Get A Card As Unique As You Are
Express yourself with your Capital One credit card. Use Image Card to upload one of your favorite pictures or choose from one of ours. It's fast, easy and free!