Before You Apply
- What are your basic auto refinancing requirements?
Basic requirements to qualify for our refinancing program include the following:
- Vehicles must be 7 years old or newer
- Payoff amount of your current car loan must be between $7,500 and $30,000*
- Your current loan must not be serviced by Capital One Auto Finance®
- Your current lender must be an FDIC or NCUA insured financial institution. Most banks, credit unions, and larger auto finance companies meet this requirement.*
- You must be up to date on payments for your existing loan
- Capital One® finances new and used cars, light trucks, minivans, and SUVs that will be used for personal use*
- What are the restrictions on refinancing?
You must refinance the full payoff amount of your existing auto loan subject to our minimum loan amount of $7,500 and our maximum loan amount of $30,000. We do not offer cash-back refinancing.
- Is there an application fee?
Applying for an auto loan with Capital One is free. We do not charge any application or documentation fees that you may encounter with other companies. You have the flexibility to apply with us and, upon approval, receive a free quote so you can choose the auto loan that is right for you.
- Are there any vehicle refinancing fees?
Each state imposes a title transfer fee that can vary depending on the state in which you reside. This fee is charged by your state, not Capital One. We will pay this fee on your behalf and add it to your final loan amount.
- What if I want to pay off my loan faster than planned or all at once? Are there any penalties for prepaying my loan?
Capital One does not charge any prepayment fees. You may pay off either a portion of your loan or the entire amount at any time without incurring any fees or penalties.
- How soon will I know if my refinance application is approved?
You will typically receive a loan decision by email within 24 hours after you have submitted your online application.
- Can I refinance my existing Capital One auto loan?
Capital One only refinances auto loans that you have with other lenders, not including Capital One or its subsidiaries.
- How secure is my personal information?
Capital One takes your security and privacy very seriously. Our site uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption for all customer data and has been authenticated by VeriSign.
After You Are Approved
- What happens next after my refinance application has been approved?
Complete, sign and date the required forms in your refinance loan package. You'll receive a separate email within one business day with instructions to securely download and print your refinance loan package from your computer. This is the fastest and easiest way to complete the process. If you don't have access to a printer or prefer not to download the refinance loan forms, you can simply wait for the duplicate package that we've sent via regular mail. If you download your refinance loan package, you don't need to wait for the duplicate loan package to arrive in the mail.
- How soon will I receive my refinance loan package?
You'll receive a separate email within one business day with instructions to securely download and print your refinance loan package from your computer. If you don't have access to a printer or prefer not to download the refinance loan forms, you can simply wait for the duplicate package that we've sent via regular mail.
- What if I make a mistake in completing my loan documents or a pre-printed piece of information is incorrect?
Do not cross-out the mistake or use correction fluid as this will invalidate the contract. Please call us at 1-877-REFI-CAR (1-877-733-4227) during business hours.
- What additional documents are needed from me to ensure Capital One Auto Finance can be recorded as the lienholder on my title?
Customer documentation requirements vary, but you may be asked to provide some or all of the information listed below. Our primary reasons for requiring documentation from customers is to verify information listed in the loan application and to help protect the security and privacy of our customers.
- Proof of income
- Proof of residence
- Title document (see below)
Signing the refinance contract obligates you to ensure Capital One Auto Finance is listed as the only lien holder on your refinance vehicle title. The form you may need to fill out varies based on your state. View the documentation requirements to understand which form you will need to complete.
- How long will it take Capital One to pay off my previous lender?
If all your documents are complete and accurate, it should only take 7–10 business days to complete your loan and issue the funds to your previous lienholder. If documents are incomplete or inaccurate, we will contact you and additional time will be needed to process your loan. After we receive and process your completed documents, we'll send you a Welcome Letter indicating that the refinance process is complete.
- I have not yet received my Welcome Letter and my current loan payment is due. Do I need to pay it?
- Yes. You must continue paying your current lender until you receive the Welcome Letter from Capital One indicating that the refinance process is complete. If you are concerned about overpaying your current lender, please be assured that you will receive a refund check from your previous lender should this happen.
- How do I sign in to view my account or make a payment?
Click here for online access to your account to set up automatic payments, manage your account and more. If you are a new customer, you must first enroll in Online Banking. You can enroll in Online Banking as soon as you've received your Welcome Letter. You will typically receive your Welcome Letter via U.S. Mail within 7-10 business days of Capital One finalizing your loan. If you have questions or problems receiving your Welcome Letter, please contact us at 1-800-946-0332 during business hours.
- When will my first monthly loan payment be due?
The due date of your monthly payment will be specified in your Welcome Letter. Your first payment will be due on the first occurrence of your due date that is at least 21 days after Capital One finalizes your loan.
- What if I don't want to sign up to make automatic payments in Capital One's Online Banking system?
If your interest rate includes the discount for automatic payments and you elect not to set up for automatic payments, you will forfeit the discount and your interest rate is subject to an increase of up to 1/2 of a percentage point (0.50%).