- Capital One Home >
- About Capital One >
- Corporate Citizenship >
- Environmental Sustainability >
- Corporate Information
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Corporate Citizenship
- Doing Business with Capital One
- Investor Relations
Making choices that count at home, work, and in our communities
Bringing attention to the significance of environmental sustainability is an important way Capital One demonstrates our environmental commitment to the community. Through various programs we help associates understand what they can do to reduce their environmental impacts at work, and at home.
We have an active and vibrant group of more than 2200 associates known as the GreenCorps who manage enterprise and local awareness and volunteer activities. Our ESO (Environmental Sustainability Office) and GreenCorps coordinate an Environment Community of Interest via the company's internal web site. This online community facilitates company-wide information sharing and fosters interactive discussions on many green topics.
Our associates engage in green activities at home, work,and in the community through events that impact them locally and globally. These events include:
- Earth Day celebrations: managed by 20 local Green Teams, reached 20,000 associates and 1000 bank branch locations.
- Environmental speaker series offers company-wide education via webinars on a variety of "be green" topics focused on resources and best practices.
- Earth Hour Green Team competition: 8 cross-company teams pledged to turn lights out on the last Sunday of every March as part of the WWF's Earth Hour campaign.
- National Recycling Day collections: collected several tons of personal electronics, gently used clothing, coats and household goods.
- Site by site "Our Choices Count" events: managed by 20 local Green Teams and staffed by our GreenCorps that have included school/park beautification projects, tree plantings, waterway and highway clean-ups.
- Revitalization projects: partnered with non-profits like Habitat for Humanity, Better Housing Coalition, Virginia Supportive Housing, Heart of America, Rebuilding Together and more.
- Conservation landscaping: wildlife mapping, native species identification, rain barrel and compost bin building and piloting a campus community garden.
Capital One Supports:
In partnership with the Heart of America Foundation, Capital One volunteers worked at North Elementary School in Brentwood, New York transforming an area in the school library into a vibrant learning experience while remaining eco-conscious. From the use of recycled materials, low VOC paints, and environmentally-inspired wall art, Capital One volunteers gave students a stimulating and safe place to relax, read, and learn. (September 2011)